Polo 9N 2001 1.4 16V Rear brake hoses

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Polo 9N 2001 1.4 16V Rear brake hoses

Post by littlepolo »

I need to replace the o/s rear hose. The calipers are TRW. I'm unable to locate a TRW hose in stock anywhere. Are the Bosch, ATE, Vaico, etc. hoses OK to use with the TRW caliper? The existing union has just a square form with mo locating pin (unlike the fronts) so I'm guessing one of the aforementioned would be OK.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo 9N 2001 1.4 16V Rear brake hoses

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd wonder if TRW supplied these hoses to the factory at original build, to be honest, most hoses that say that they fit that application would work for me, I tended to only buy VW Group flexi hoses so that I ended up with the correct item, both for end fittings and length. The new hose should always come with a new banjo bolt and 2 sealing washers.

Edit:- remember while these rear callipers may well be, at that age made by TRW, they are still an old Lucas design.

Another Edit:- there is a possibility that later Polos, Ibiza and Fabia with rear discs used that same hose.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I purchased Febi for the fronts and was impressed by the quality. The rear brake line seems to be a combined line with both flexi and solid pipe. Presumably there is a t-piece or similar junction under the body where the solid pipe connects. The cheapest option is an ATE and £19 and next is a Bosch at £21. I'll opt for one of those since the TRW o/s is not available (and is closer to £30).

I'm sure you're right about the design of the calipers.

Just a note on the front banjo bolt sealing washers. The Febi units seemed to have a silver metal washer - they definitely were not copper. The rears looked like aluminium and were well crushed to the point of not being usable. The front calipers are cast and the rears aluminium which might explain the difference in washer materials.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The different calliper materials should ideally demand different sealing washer materials, but I just accepted that the refurbed maybe by Pagid Lucas rear callipers ended up getting supplied with copper sealing washers was due to cost on Pagid's part, as well as the initial terrible stories that were coming out about people finding that these aluminium washers could end up being breached by corrosion caused by salt in winter and/or location - as I said not that I found that to be happening with my old 2000 Passat.

Flexi/solid combo, yes I had forgotten about that in the case of Polos, still to this day, no T-piece just an inline joint as each side is fed from a different output on the ABS valve block - as well as being on a split diagonal circuit.

As the original aluminium washers were quite thick, I managed to dress them both level and flat and both sides and reuse them, but your new pipe should/could come with a new banjo bolt and 2 new washers press fitted to it, so probably not an issue for you.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

After some difficulties I finally got hold of new rear brake hoses. I could not get a TRW product for the o/s and had to settle for Bosch. I was able to obtain a TRW for the n/s. The Bosch came with aluminium washers which were not captive and was an exact replica of the hose I removed - it dropped in. The TRW part came with captive aluminium washers and whilst it was the right pattern required a bit of coaxing to drop into the retainers. Surprisingly, both of the old metal unions came undone easily with a flat 11mm spanner after soaking in PlusGas for a few mins.