Filter change but not oil

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Bikergonebald
New
Drives: 2004 1.2 Twist

Filter change but not oil

Post by Bikergonebald »

Hi,
I just bought a polo 9n 1.4 petrol and the garage had changed the oil but I spotted today that the filter certainly wasn’t changed. It’s only done a few miles so I was going to change just the filter.

If I remove the filter will I lose any oil?

Thanks
Kevin
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Filter change but not oil

Post by littlepolo »

Yes, the filter will have drained down with the engine standing/cold. It should be only a cupful. Put some rags below (on top of the undertray).
Zeno
New
Drives: 2004 Polo Twist 1.2 12v manual 73k

Post by Zeno »

Also put a rag on top of the alternator.
If it's the same as a 1.2, the filter is sometimes stuck in the housing. Either leaver out with screwdriver it tap it upside down onto a wooden block.
Given they did not change the filter, makes me wonder what oil they have put in it ?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Zeno wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:20 pm Also put a rag on top of the alternator.
If it's the same as a 1.2, the filter is sometimes stuck in the housing. Either leaver out with screwdriver it tap it upside down onto a wooden block.
Given they did not change the filter, makes me wonder what oil they have put in it ?
No, the 1.4 16V engines don't have a filter case and insert, only a complete can filter, so they just spin off and on.

I've always found them to be reasonably challenging to replace, especially as I used to insist with making sure the filter paper was soaked completely with fresh oil!

I'd second dropping the oil that is in it and filling it with a known good VW 502 or even 504 spec oil, 5W-40 or 5W-30.