Boot Handle/Lock Issues

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Bigveev
New
Drives: 2005 polo tdi

Boot Handle/Lock Issues

Post by Bigveev »

Just got myself a 2005 1.9TDI to modify/ruin depending on if you talk to my girlfriend or not :D Only fault I've found so far is the boot wont open unless the key is in the lock and turned all the way to the left, which is annoying. Anyone got any suggestions as to what the likely cause is?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Boot Handle/Lock Issues

Post by littlepolo »

I presume you mean the tailgate? It's a common problem. Is the tailgate open warning lamp on the instrument panel working? It could be the microswitch or it could be the actuator (it can be tested by applying a voltage directly). You would need to remove the tailgate interior trim to access the actuator and lock assembly. I found that the locking mechanism had broken and replaced it. However, since then the unlocking only worked briefly and now I'm having to investigate again (I had not replaced the actuator but might need to do so this time). Another possibility is damage to the wiring where it passes through the boot between the body and the tailgate. Not always easy to see a break so might need to check for continuity with a meter. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if the latter is the fauly on mine, since the rear wiper only works very occasionally and I could find no fault with the motor, etc.