1.2 coil plugs

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
yungvad
New
Drives: 2004 9N

1.2 coil plugs

Post by yungvad »

hi my car has been misfiring for a month a bit now but i’ve been driving it fine, i need it to last me another month so i’m thinking about changing the coil plugs as i’ve read on a few forums that this removes the problems temporarily

my question is, what engines can i pull the plugs off? thanks in advance
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 1.2 coil plugs

Post by alexperkins »

Likely to be the coil packs. For what they cost, pick up new ones from either Euro or GSF with one of their discount codes. Used ones will likely fail
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I know it costs a bit more, but if you are having firing issues and are buying new coils, then you should really buy new plugs as older/failing plugs can annoy/destroy shiny new coils.
yungvad
New
Drives: 2004 9N

Post by yungvad »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 am I know it costs a bit more, but if you are having firing issues and are buying new coils, then you should really buy new plugs as older/failing plugs can annoy/destroy shiny new coils.
i’ve changed the plugs before changing coils to see if it’ll make a difference so they’re fairly new,, although i drove for around 1.5k miles on the new plugs with the engine still misfiring. Should i get new ones or will these be okay? also i just changed the coil and it stopped misfiring
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If it is now running okay with new coils then it will have cleaned up the probably "partially fouled by being used with duff coil(s)" - so all okay I'd think.

The worry/concern about fitting a new set of coils when the car has been misfiring and ignoring the plugs, is normally linked with the plugs being old and so mainly to blame for the misfiring and maybe even being able to cause permanent issues with the new coils, but you have said that the plugs have already been replaced to try to solve this issue.