Drone like noise, possible wheel bearing

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Drone like noise, possible wheel bearing

Post by littlepolo »

I've noticed a droning noise at speed, say 30mph plus, on slowing down from high speed, and on right hand turns (weight transfer to left). The noise appears to be coming from the front nearside. This started only recently and is not too noisy at the moment. Is there any other possible cause for the noise before I plan work to replace the front wheel hub/bearing? I've checked the usual sources and found bearings offered separately as well as new hub units complete with bearing (presumably makes the job easier for those without a press tool). If it's the bearing, any preferable brands of hub/bearing or ones to avoid? How long can I expect the old bearing to hold out before it fails?
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: Drone like noise, possible wheel bearing

Post by Bepis »

It sounds like a bearing but could also be tyres. I would get it up on a jack and see if there is any play. As you mention it's only on the one side spin both individually and see if you can hear any difference between the two. Also, check the condition and age of the tyres as the ones my polo came with were 8 years old and droned horribly.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

The front tyres are good. The rear n/s is close to the wear bars. I'll check it but will be surprised if that is causing this noise which appears to be coming from front n/s.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

The problem is indeed the front nearside wheel bearing. What would be the approx labour cost, parts cost, and VAT to have it replaced at an independent?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I can't say but I think that is your best plan, just buying a bearing would mean paying to get it pressed into the hub - and buying an assembly would need it pressing into the hub carrier, these are Gen2 bearings so need handled with the correct tools.

Your indie will have worked out which is cheaper for you I'd expect.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Just a thought, since my front n/s hub bearing is going, is there any possibility that the front o/s is on the way out and could be causing the brake to bind?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Preparing to replace the front n/s hub. I got the tool to do it off eBay.

A YouTube video about hub replacement mentioned the following lubricants:

Molykote high pressure grease (Hub assy into carrier)

Polycarbamide (driveshaft spline)

Practically speaking, what brands/products can I use?