steering light on?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Aaron2010star
New
Drives: Polo

steering light on?

Post by Aaron2010star »

hi all any help with this code? polo 00816 power steering sensor g250 30 00 open or short to plus..

recently had a steering rack change - second hand one, and ive had tracking done. also tried a different g250 sensor but still get the light come on dash with steering wheel picture

also a abs code comes up also,anyone help me check the values of the steering rack when it moves in vcds and all i get is activate it? do i go on single reading? ive got the free version
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: steering light on?

Post by Bepis »

It seems anything from a new battery to a new pump has fixed this issue for others. With you mentioning that you had the rack replaced and also tried a new sensor I would give the wiring and grounds a look over as the fault code is for an open or short circuit. Did you have PAS before and or after getting the rack replaced? Is the PAS warning light yellow or red? You also mention an ABS code, what is that code?

There’s this article on the Ross Tech wiki:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00816

And also this post on briskoda for a mk1 Fabia which is the same platform as the polo:
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/7 ... hort-to-b/
Aaron2010star
New

Post by Aaron2010star »

hi, the light is yellow, i had power steering before the rack was changed, why i changed the rack is i accidentally drilled through it when trying to drill out a captive bolt, so i swapped the sensor over then tried another from scrap yard vw parts place, no lights were on before.. car drives fine and steering is nice and light with no leeks anywhere, its when i turn the steering wheel left and right it puts the light on, can i just drive car like it or will it cause other problems?
Aaron2010star
New

Post by Aaron2010star »

0B12D3E5-92EC-43EA-A949-B2F214E109A6.jpeg
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

Have you tried turning the wheel all the way left then all the way right? Yellow PAS light can sometimes be caused by something to do with the PAS being disconnected and I guess the car just needs to learn where the steering is.

Only issue I could imagine you would have is no power steering if you don’t have it already but you mentioned the steering is light with no leaks so I guess you still have power steering.

As for the ABS code check that the main harness is securely connected to the ECU. ECU is mounted on the top, right hand side of the firewall in the engine bay next to the ABS pump.
Aaron2010star
New

Post by Aaron2010star »

Hi, yes have tried the left and right at idle stand-still and will checked the abs harness, so ive got power steering with light on - so shouldnt do any harm then?
gonna checked wiring and battery soon
Aaron2010star
New

Post by Aaron2010star »

readins with wheel turned left and right and 2 other readings
IMG_3596.JPG
IMG_3595.JPG
IMG_3594.JPG
IMG_3593.JPG
Aaron2010star
New

Post by Aaron2010star »

only thing i noticed when i turned the wheel was the amps would go up? when fault light come on dash and gives a code in vcds couldnt clear it unless i switched engine off - then cleared it fine, the turning sterring wheel left or right fault light came on, wouldnt let me enter basic settings in vdcs - saying must register or something, so not sure how to get angle sensor readings
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

Current will go up as the pump will have to work harder the further you turn the wheel so that's normal

Maybe give these threads a read
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65775&start=15
viewtopic.php?t=41073

Not 100% sure if it won't cause damage but if you have PAS I don't see how it could. A yellow PAS light indicates a fault with the system but it should still be operational, a red PAS light will mean the system has failed which will probably be quite obvious at that point. To prevent damage check the fluid level in the reservoir. Cap for it is green and below where the battery sits near to the neck of the washer bottle.

The best thing to do would be to rule out electrical issues before going and replacing parts. I believe Halfords will do a battery and charging circuit test for free.

Check fuses, connectors, and wires so you don't end up just throwing parts at it.

As for the please register message in VCDS you have to register the cars VIN in VCDS in order to access basic settings, adaptations, etc. This is just their way of selling cheaper versions as they can set a VIN limit on cheaper cables for the person that wants to do their own diagnostics and adaptations but have unlimited ones for garages at a higher price as they'll use it day in day out.
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

After reading the ross-tech wiki article again there was this note.

Additional Notes
There are at least two different manufacturers of these steering racks and they use a number of incompatible components. If steering rack or related components have been replaced, ensure that the replacement components are from the same manufacturer as the original one and are truly compatible; verify compatibility in parts catalogs; just because a component appears to fit does not mean it's compatible!Additional Notes
There are at least two different manufacturers of these steering racks and they use a number of incompatible components. If steering rack or related components have been replaced, ensure that the replacement components are from the same manufacturer as the original one and are truly compatible; verify compatibility in parts catalogs; just because a component appears to fit does not mean it's compatible!

Possible Causes
Wiring/Connectors from/to Power Steering Sensor (G250) faulty
Power Steering Sensor (G250) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Power Steering Sensor (G250)
Check Power Steering Sensor (G250)

However, due to the fault code being for a short there’s still a high chance that it is what it says a short somewhere whether it be in the loom or the sensor itself.
Aaron2010star
New

Post by Aaron2010star »

cool, i have also read that last night night funny enough, but how do i know what manufacturer my steering rack is without removing the rack ?
and would that have to have the same manufacturer as the angle sensor? and pump? anything else?? abs harness all look ok too..

ps check 50amp fuse and wiring and even out another angle sensor in which is identical as my orignal one, battery seems fine too, no water in the 3 seperate plugs that go into the pump, earths seem ok too, wiring from angle sensor to pump all ok to.. running out of idears, has my car got a scrib the round thing under the steering wheel area, someone said this could be faulty?
Things left to try..
1.replace battery even tho it says its ok
2. replace pump
3. try a 3rd angle sensor?
Aaron2010star
New

Post by Aaron2010star »

could i need one of theses?
Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 18.55.22.png
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

You shouldn't need one of those as the fault is not with that sensor.

After some more digging, I discovered these threads again with the same issue.
https://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/s ... or-problem
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/3 ... sor-fault/

So after ruling out issues with the electrical circuit, my money would be on the rack and sensor being incompatible or the pump. But the fault code given is still for a short and not a "faulty" code, however if you are 100% confident that the electrics are fine then I myself am stuck as to what it could be.

As for identifying the type of rack I'm not sure but maybe this pdf would help:
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_259.pdf

As mentioned the systems were made by either TRW or KOYO so you have a 50/50 chance, however, the graphic given the sensors look very different externally.

Edit: After a further read into that PDF the system manufacturer could be identified by the type of dipstick on the cap of the reservoir, however, if you only changed the rack and not the pump as well then this could tell you what system came off and you could compare the sensors that came with either rack and see if there is any difference.
Aaron2010star
New

Post by Aaron2010star »

very interesting, so are you saying that my angle sensor has to match the pump make, does the rack matter what make has that is comunicating with anything is it? its just the sensor sending info to pump? i beleve in vcds i can remember something saying TRW is that the make of pump right? or would this be the make of the rack too? or even just the angle sensor? i only change the rack and put the old angle sensor back in so it should match the pump right? confused.com or is the angle sensor picking up what rack it is and sending the info to the pump, also my power steering is very light, not stiff at all even at low revs reversing, just light comes on, them problems them guys had seems the same as mine? still dont understand why its a short or open?
Aaron2010star
New

Post by Aaron2010star »

ive got the TRW pump as from the link to provided shows the dip stick same as mine, also the pics of the angle sensor in the link shows the trw sensor same as mine, the koyo looks completly different, mine has the brown plug with 3 wires in it and 2 screws holding it in the rack.. so the only thing i need to check is the rack to see if thats a TRW?
just to add when i had the rack off and swopped over the angle sensor into the new rack i noticed it was a paint to get in.. when i decided to change the angle sensor a week later, i pulled out the angle sensor and a piece of the sensor was broken, just the outer plastic piece the( not circuit board) look like it caught on something in the rack when it was inserted , there is metal pieces that turn with the steerinf wheel which the sensor then picks up, im wondering if i have damaged them? also removed the new sensor and that was ok not any broken pieces on it, dont know why the first sensor i put in when rack was off done that, maybe i forced it to much at wrong angle?