Software and idling

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Andrew S
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 2004

Software and idling

Post by Andrew S »

I have software for my BMW where I can run scans etc on my laptop, is there anything that I can download for the Polo? I have the OBD Cable etc.

I have a code reader to plug into OBD2 but thats it.

Also, can you alter the idling speed as mine seems just a tad slow being under 700rpm and being 3 cylinders, can feel lumpy

Thanks for any feedback and advice

Andrew
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: Software and idling

Post by Bepis »

As far as I’m aware the only software there is for VAG vehicles is VCDS(vagcom) or OBD 11. VCDS requires it’s own cable as that’s where the “license” is kept. Can get one for around £235 new, that can have 3 VINs registered. OBD 11 is a mobile app but I don’t know much about it, just that it exists and can be quite good. You do have the others like Carly and blue driver which are more suited to basic diagnostics but Carly can do some adaptations, however with the 9n there aren’t many.

As for the idle speed once mine is up to temperature it will sit at 650rpm when cold 800-1200rpm depending on temperature. Doesn’t feel particularly lumpy but 3 cylinders are going to be feel a bit rougher than 4s. My polo would hunt at idle and always idled quite low no matter what but after cleaning it and running a throttle body calibration using VCDS it’s been fine since.

Polo is a 1.2 E engine AZQ 3 cylinder 12V
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Thanks Bepis, very helpful

Maybe the throttle cleaning is a good idea as when hot, and idling for a while n traffic and can be lumpy and even can pick up a rhythm. As soon as its above 700 rpm, its very smooth

Thanks again
Andrew
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

Best way to do the cleaning is to take the throttle body off of the manifold so none of the dirt goes into it but you can do it on the car with a toothbrush and some carb cleaner but be weary of the MAP sensor getting covered in sh*t like mine did and started throwing engine lights. Giving it a clean anyway with some MAF cleaner can help with rough running. It’s only 2 torx screws but it’s a plastic manifold so you can easily cross thread the screws.
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Cheers :)
Gazza c
New
Drives: 1.2 12v 2005

Post by Gazza c »

My engine warning light was on and the mechanic told me it was the throttle postion switch and told me the car just needed ran as it was bought of an old lady so a took it for a good blast up the motorway and when home the idle was bak to just below 1000rpm and it sounded much better as were before it was sitting about 500-600rpm and when u turned the blower/ heater on it would drop again and sounded like it was going to stall however it never did just sounded week but again today the light has came bak on and the idle is bak to around 500rpm and sounds weak but not stalling is there any answers out there plz as this is doing my nut right in thanks
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Is that what they call an Italian tune up?
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

Gazza c wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:01 pm My engine warning light was on and the mechanic told me it was the throttle postion switch and told me the car just needed ran as it was bought of an old lady so a took it for a good blast up the motorway and when home the idle was bak to just below 1000rpm and it sounded much better as were before it was sitting about 500-600rpm and when u turned the blower/ heater on it would drop again and sounded like it was going to stall however it never did just sounded week but again today the light has came bak on and the idle is bak to around 500rpm and sounds weak but not stalling is there any answers out there plz as this is doing my nut right in thanks
Welcome to the forum :)

To address the low idle, getting the throttle body cleaned and then aligned is a good start and shouldn't take more than hour or two to do. If you also have an EPC (Electronic Power Control) light, then give the connector of throttle body electrical harness a clean with some contact cleaner as a poor connection can cause an EPC light.