Oil Choice HELP 2004 1.4TDI

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
CraigM87
New
Drives: VW Polo 2004 1.4TDI

Oil Choice HELP 2004 1.4TDI

Post by CraigM87 »

Hi guys,

New to the forum need a little help with oil choice can anyone help?

What grade of oil should i use for the car?

Have a 5w40 fully synthetic?

Does it have have to be PD oil?

How many litres will take to fill.

Thanks guys
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Oil Choice HELP 2004 1.4TDI

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, seeing as no one with that engine in a 9N Polo bothered to reply, I've checked my Haynes repair manual for that version of Polo and, engine oil capacity is 4.2litres, oil type synth 5W-40 to API SG/CD - now remember that that manual would have been generated back in 2007, so oil grades will have moved on from there probably so it will eb easier to get a more modern oil that is better and still works with that engine.

Have you ever tried looking up opieoils website or even any UK based oil brand, they will all have advice as to what you should use from what is currently available -even Halfords if you need to add another to see if there is some common guidance.

I don't know if that 1.4TDI in these cars was ever aa PDI - surely the engine cover etc would let you work out if it was, or if the injectors looked like they were cam shaft operated and not just electrically "fired".

Edit:- even look up the Fuchs website and select your 1.4TDI engine version to get the oil recommended. Opie oils website might work better on IOS than on Windows I find.

Another Edit:- the Castrol website indicates that your engine is an AMF engine code and it claims that is a PD, Castrol recommend Edge 5W-30 LL - so as I was hinting at earlier, while at launch that engine used 5W-40 now with improved oils, the weight suggested has dropped down to 5W-30.
CraigM87
New
Drives: VW Polo 2004 1.4TDI

Post by CraigM87 »

Thank you very much for your reply was very helpful.

Going by the opie website its a 5 40w pd engine oil that is needed.

Thanks again for your info.
Adamsnake
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 16V

Post by Adamsnake »

I always go by opie oils,

their website not always the cheapest, chekck their ebay store or use ECP with honey