Gearbox Oil

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Adamsnake
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 16V

Gearbox Oil

Post by Adamsnake »

Hi guys,

mrs polo is coming up to 160k and just had timing belt and waterpump etc done.

What gearbox oil does it take and how much?
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: Gearbox Oil

Post by Bepis »

Takes roughly 1.8L of oil. VWs gearbox oil is about the same price as Castrol's but not sure how readily available the VW stuff will be online and at how much more due to the current situation as all the dealers are shut.

I bought 2L of oil from my local VW for about £29 a couple months back. The part number is G 055 512 A2, comes in 1L bottles at £13-£14 each.

To do it you need a 17mm hex socket but I'd also recommend a 17mm spanner and or ratchet spanner as I couldn't get a ratchet on either the fill or drain (can't remember) as the subframe was in the way.

I personally found this video quite helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxwO0cz0H_E

just remember to have something to catch the oil under the car when you've set it back down and just topping it off as my drive now turns into a rainbow in one patch when it rains. It also smells really fishy so try not to get it on you.

Hope that helps :D

Edit: I put mine on 4 jack stands when I changed the oil and found I could get about 1.5L in then topped the rest up on the ground.
Mk4Maze
New
Drives: Mk4

Post by Mk4Maze »

2l is not enough to reach 5th 2.8 the oil needs to be over filled when a small thin line of oil comes out the you know 5th has oil aswell a dealer made the same mistake and resulting in a gearbox overhaul for my arosa at that time costs 550 euro with luck pair second hand 5th gears
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

What was the gearbox code? Mine's FQE and it started to come out of the fill port after putting just under 2L in. I couldn't find another drain or fill unless I missed it?
Adamsnake
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 16V

Post by Adamsnake »

Cheers just ordered 2 ltrs for under £20 from ECP.
It was not VW branded but FEBI| BILSTEIN branded with that part number spec

Its an 1.4 petrol 2004 with a bby