Oil Change is it needed

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Aybesea
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 9Ns 1.2 AZQ 2003 Reflex Silver

Oil Change is it needed

Post by Aybesea »

I had a replacement 1.2 VW engine fitted to the car at 90k,the car is now just over 100k had a oil change/Man filter after the running in period (if that is what you call it )and Catrol Edge 5w-30 was put in with a VW 504 00/507 00 spec.I have not topped the oil up since the oil change so i am pleased about that.Now was thinking of changing it again with Man filter again with the Castrol ,but is it worth doing, i do about 2.5k a year.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: Oil Change is it needed

Post by Bepis »

Yes definitely worth doing! An oil change costs £50~ and takes an hour or two to do yourself if that which is pennies compared to an engine or a head. Change mine very 3K due to poor maintenance from prior owners. Frequent oil changes with good oil and filters is the best thing you can probably do for an engine.
Aybesea
Getting There!

Post by Aybesea »

Thought it would be good however have to get a garage to do it as i can not get under neath enough to undo the Bolt/or Hex
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Agree that regular changes - according to operating conditions - are a good way to reduce risk of expensive engine failure.

You can buy an oil change suction pump to change the oil yourself from above. If you do regular changes (i.e. not much debris in the oil) you'd probably be OK using it. They usually have a scale on the side so you can measure the volume removed.
Aybesea
Getting There!

Post by Aybesea »

Just jogged my memory about the pump Thanks,the oil is slightly darker than the day the oil was put in the replacement engine after the oil and filter change.Have to check what size tube will fit looking at it i think it would have to be 4mm dia.I have never had to top it up at all.
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

The newer TSI engines are designed or oil extraction but I'm not sure if these older engines are. To help clear as much old oil as possible I would:
Extract the old oil
Add some fresh oil (500ml-1L)
Allow to drain into the sump and mix with what's in there then suck it back out.

Newer TSi engines (2.0L EA888 specifically) leave about 100ml of oil after extraction out of 5L or so. Isn't a lot but that engine was designed for oil extraction.

Hope that helps :)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Just out of interest have you ever weighed old oil vs new oil by volume to measure the contaminant load?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Bepis wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:45 pm The newer TSI engines are designed or oil extraction but I'm not sure if these older engines are. To help clear as much old oil as possible I would:
Extract the old oil
Add some fresh oil (500ml-1L)
Allow to drain into the sump and mix with what's in there then suck it back out.

Newer TSi engines (2.0L EA888 specifically) leave about 100ml of oil after extraction out of 5L or so. Isn't a lot but that engine was designed for oil extraction.

Hope that helps :)
That is not a statement that covers all TSI engines, I saw the workshop job sheet on my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS and it included an advisory note to say not to use the extraction method to remove the engine oil. Of course like all other things, these instructions might change with the phases of the moon! The vac extraction method will be due to H&S reasons and ease of operation, along with on some engines, removing the need to get under the car and remove covers, though any proper mechanic knows that having a reason to view the underside of an engine in a car that has been used is always going to be a good idea.
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:59 am That is not a statement that covers all TSI engines, I saw the workshop job sheet on my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS and it included an advisory note to say not to use the extraction method to remove the engine oil. Of course like all other things, these instructions might change with the phases of the moon! The vac extraction method will be due to H&S reasons and ease of operation, along with on some engines, removing the need to get under the car and remove covers, though any proper mechanic knows that having a reason to view the underside of an engine in a car that has been used is always going to be a good idea.
After thinking about it you have a point. If my memory serves me correctly the 1.2 110ps (engine code CJZD) in a Skoda Fabia NJ has the traditional metal oil filter style down at the front of the engine behind the radiator, not an upright cartridge-style ontop like the aforementioned 2.0L EA888 meaning you'd have to get under the car anyway to remove the filter so there isn't much point extracting from the top. Like you said yourself getting underneath and having a look is a good idea as you'll get a chance to look for leaks, rust, etc.

I would like to know how using the extraction method fairs on the 9N as the filter on the AZQ engine is up in the engine bay but the dipstick tube is very narrow.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Bepis wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:48 pm After thinking about it you have a point. If my memory serves me correctly the 1.2 110ps (engine code CJZD) in a Skoda Fabia NJ has the traditional metal oil filter style down at the front of the engine behind the radiator, not an upright cartridge-style ontop like the aforementioned 2.0L EA888 meaning you'd have to get under the car anyway to remove the filter so there isn't much point extracting from the top. Like you said yourself getting underneath and having a look is a good idea as you'll get a chance to look for leaks, rust, etc.

I would like to know how using the extraction method fairs on the 9N as the filter on the AZQ engine is up in the engine bay but the dipstick tube is very narrow.
Yes you are correct for the CJZC and CJZD engines, I can see why in environment terms having an filter insert should be better than having a complete throw away tin can filter assembly, but the former type requires some extra time from the fitter and these filter inserts seem to cost more generally.

I must admit that I bought a Pela 6000 for using on a 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V 75PS and a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16V 86PS - I tried it out first on the late 2009 SEAT Ibiza and was very disappointed by its performance, so yes, if engines had bigger bores on their dip stick tubes, then using a vacuum oil extractor could make sense. After that I've never ever used that kit on any of my cars, preferring to remove the sump plug - which I think is always meant to be done even on an engine that can VW Group say can be used with a vacuum extractor - just to drop out the remaining quantity of old oil. That Pela 6000 is now only used on my motor mower, which is a bit of a waste of time for that tool.