Diagnostics

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Andrew S
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 2004

Diagnostics

Post by Andrew S »

Hi All

Anyone bought a good reasonably priced diagnostics tool for scanning and being able to delete all error codes?
I have bought a cheap £20 one off eBay and does all I need to know but some do more such as this one from Euros

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/streetwi ... -548775301

Any thoughts and experiences?

Cheers
Andrew
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Diagnostics

Post by RUM4MO »

That one you posted the link to will only ever hand over or resolve engine fault codes, there used to be some cheap tools that let you read all faults on all smart controllers in your car, I don't have a car of that age so I now don't know what is available for older only cars.

I'd avoid Carista as I think that it was designed too late to include these older cars, though VCDS would cover everything, so maybe investigate the pricing of VCDS Lite, it will have limited functionality when compared with VCDS, but it will be much cheaper and maybe what you want/need.
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Thank you RUM4MO

Cheers
Andrew
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

I found VCDS to be well worth the money (£235 from Gendan for a 3 VIN cable). Does everything on a Polo 9N and a Fabia NJ but there's a lot more that can be done on a Fabia NJ than a Polo 9N. I also found the logging very handy diagnosing O2 sensor issues.
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Thanks Bepis
Cheers
Andrew
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Another comment about VCDS, anyone who has legally bought genuine VCDS can sell it on and the next user will be able to have full use out of it, also VCDS resellers do accept older versions in as part exchange, but they do not hand over very much money for them.

So, what you can find on ebay etc is older versions of VCDS being sold as the owner is upgrading to a newer version, but still wants a bit more cash for their older version that being offered as a trade in price, as long as you know what new older version will cost from a UK based reseller, you should be able to buy used a lot cheaper - some people are greedy or chancers and get a very high price selling via ebay. Versions called Hex USB etc will cover this age of car and cars up to roughly 2015, I only upgraded from Hex USB to HEX -V2 because my daughter bought a new SEAT Leon Cupra and my mate bought a 2018 VW TROC, for my wife's 2015 VW Polo and my 2011 Audi S4, the older version of interface was still good.