2002 POLO 1.2 Rear Wiper on all the time

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
buildclean
New
Drives: 2002 9n 1.2

2002 POLO 1.2 Rear Wiper on all the time

Post by buildclean »

Hi all.
I bought the above car for the kids to learn in and all good until the rear wiper decided to run all the while the ignition is on.
Have checked the terminals at the rear wiper plug with a meter and am getting a 12v reading (give or take) across all terminals to gnd all the time, regardless of which position the wiper stalk is in.
I assume switch or relay...?
All advice welcome.
Thanks
Peter
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 2002 POLO 1.2 Rear Wiper on all the time

Post by RUM4MO »

These wipers will be getting controlled by a smart control module which will have a relay built into it, so you still need to work out if it is the wiper stalk or that controller unfortunately, the easy first stab at this could be to buy a used stalk - though some of them will also be suspect, but still a best first quick stab at this maybe.
buildclean
New

Post by buildclean »

Appreciated cheers
buildclean
New

Post by buildclean »

I thought I'd follow your advice RUM** and try a new combination switch to see if it rectified the problem.
First of all I thought I would follow a step by step you tube video showing how to remove it, to get the correct serial number before ordering.
I did it in this order:
Disconnected battery - both terminals
Removed top steering column shroud / cover
Removed instrument cluster to give clearance to put a flat headed screwdriver in the rear of the steering wheel to remove the airbag
Removed airbag and and electrical connections (carefully)
Undid splined nut and removed steering wheel
Removed clockspring (what does this do?)
Unplugged and removed combination stalks (just so I knew how to do it to make replacement easier)
I took a note of the serial number and put everything back carefully in reverse sequence so the car could still be driven whilst waiting for the spare part
The problem now is that I must have disturbed something as the instrument cluster shows no life at all and the car starts and dies immediately suggesting I've tripped the immobiliser somehow.
More advice appreciated!
Thanks
Peter
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

It sounds like you have accidentally still got a plug not fully connected back in to the instrument panel, that would explain "no life" and the immob kicking in I'd think.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:11 am These wipers will be getting controlled by a smart control module which will have a relay built into it, so you still need to work out if it is the wiper stalk or that controller unfortunately, the easy first stab at this could be to buy a used stalk - though some of them will also be suspect, but still a best first quick stab at this maybe.
Is that the same for the 1.4 16V?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:11 am These wipers will be getting controlled by a smart control module which will have a relay built into it, so you still need to work out if it is the wiper stalk or that controller unfortunately, the easy first stab at this could be to buy a used stalk - though some of them will also be suspect, but still a best first quick stab at this maybe.
Is that the same for the 1.4 16V?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Oh yes!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Then where is the smart control module you speak of? Somewhere internal to the ECU?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I've forgotten what the relevant module was called in these cars, maybe CCM or something else, maybe the one that is located above the pedals?

Sorry for being vague, does Haynes repair manual not give a wiring schematic to assist you?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I remember rooting around by the pedal box trying to locate a relay or something in connection with my rear wiper which has a mind of its own. Hadn't realised it was a control module. Will have another look while the weather is fine.