1.9TDI Coolant leak

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
hartge
Silver Member

1.9TDI Coolant leak

Post by hartge »

Hi guys,

Got a coolant leak coming from back of the engine, had a nose about and can see the pink coolant near the back...
IMG_4132.jpeg
Between the two pipes in that hole you can see the coolant, would it be the pipes?
Car was say idle and noticed it when I got out the car.

Thanks
Euler2
New
Drives: 9N 1.4 TDI AMF 2003

Re: 1.9TDI Coolant leak

Post by Euler2 »

I have a 1.4TDI and it uses the same coolant pipes as yours, if you check, the rubber hoses will connect to a metal pipe system which goes into a bracket held by a single bolt then into heater matrix, this is probably where the leak is (it was on mine) . I had to replace two rubber o-rings (N90890501).

Unfortunately this was not an easy a fix as I first thought, the metal bracket then became difficult to put back and wouldn't seal properly.
I eventually 'binned' the whole lot and seen on a Fabia VRS TDI forum the same problem and replaced the metal brackets with the alternative pipe arrangement used on petrol engines. It is a plastic pipe connection (6Q0 121 065N). To make matters worse the original pipes when bent will collapse and reduce coolant flow. Then had to use 'Flexible EPDM Wire Reinforced Rubber Coolant Radiator Hose AFS'.

To sum up, I hope it is just the 2 o-rings, or something easier.
hartge
Silver Member

Re: 1.9TDI Coolant leak

Post by hartge »

Yep mine was one of the rings but the bloody bolt which holds the matrix part is was a pain in the arse to remove so we by-passed that instead of doing the dash out option lol