First post

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
oph
New
Drives: 54 plate 1.4 16V petrol

First post

Post by oph »

Well..........

So, as i have the pleasure of of getting the train from Eastbourne to London every day for work, I took it upon myself to buy a quaint 1.4 polo. Rougher than a badgers backside but as a proud owner of a amazing 5 series tourer, I used to dabble in the VW scene years ago having had Mk1 Golf Gti as my first car in the early 90's then a Mk2 16V, then a Mk 3 VR6 and eventually a Mk4 R32. the first three golfs were great. The 5 series sits at at 180K with only oil changes , and consumables being used.

Back to the polo.............. I brought it for £181 from ebay and got it so my wife wouldnt have to drop me to the station at 05:45 every morning because she did that for 6 months :D

Wet weather, even if the car is parked up, seems to bring out the EPC and check engine light. When it first happened during lock down, I changed the plugs, air filter, ignition coils, throttle body but to no avail. I then found a short hose against the fire wall that had split at both ends. I taped the ends up with electrical tape, reset the codes and it was fine. It still looks ok but the EPC and check engine has thrown it into limp mode several times in the last few weeks.

I'm going to replace the the vacuum lines total. I have a Haynes manual but its useless. I really want a clear, exploded view of the car. Yes, I could well have to pay but does anyone have an pointers as to which one would be good?

Cheers all.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: First post

Post by RUM4MO »

You could try an online parts listing site, like https://ifinterface.com/ click on welcome, then free services, then CarProg2.

With running a car of that age, I'd always plan on buying VCDS - I only buy VW Group cars because I can buy a full features diagnostic tool, like VCDS.
oph
New
Drives: 54 plate 1.4 16V petrol

Re: First post

Post by oph »

Much appreciated, thanks for your reply. I'll look into it and hopefully it will help