Sidelight change mess up

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Jollus
Bronze Member

Sidelight change mess up

Post by Jollus »

Yo,

Changed the front driver side sidelight with a replacement LED no problem, but the passenger side I had to take the bumper off to do (clasically).

When I plugged the replacement in to the pasenger side it was flickery off and on, so wedged a bit of cardboard in to get constant light.

Tried to crimp it tighter to get constant light and snapped the pastic housing of the 501 sidelight holder. Now it worked for a time so...

Just about to plug it into the light cluster and its blown the passenger tail-light and passenger sidelight fuse ( I suspect ).

Swopped the 5A working driver side fuse into the passenger side fuse location as a test to see if the tailight will come on (without anything plugged into the sidelight holder) and I've got no power there.

Following the swop back over of the fuse the driver side still works fine.

The question is why wont a new fuse let at least the passenger tail light fire up, and secondly can i buy a sidelight housing to splice in or would it need a whole new light cluster assembly?

Thanks,
Jollus
Bronze Member

Re: Sidelight change mess up

Post by Jollus »

A further twist to the tale, excuse the pun..

A swop of the fuses for right and left shows that both fuses are fuctional, but the passenger tail light and passenger sidelight do not function any longer. Have I popped something else or do I need a new front passenger light assembly?

When I tried to crimp the front passenger sidelight holder and snapped the pastic surround, would this be the cause?

i have also changed both rear passenger tail light bulbs for new and still not firing up... :cry: