Power Steering Failure

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
tman
New
Drives: Polo 9N 1.4 16V

Power Steering Failure

Post by tman »

I own a polo 9N 16v 1.4 (100hp). I've recently changed my EGR valve after being scanned and caused the engine management light to appear. Once it was changed I didn't turn the car on until the next morning to check whether it worked. I realised instantly as the ignition was switched on the yellow oil light flashed three times along with the engine management light and amber power steering light switched on. As a result, I lost power steering and it became very stiff. I checked the fuse box and replaced the fuse with a 7.5amp which it previously had, this covers the EGR, Power steering and Oil sensor as it was blown. Once I changed it the oil light stopped flashing when I turned the ignition on, but the power steering wasn't working still. So I took out the new fuse to double-check and it blew again. I bought a power steering pump just in case, but I feel like it could be electrical, seems like it could possibly a short.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Seanw26
New
Drives: 1.4 TDI 9N

Re: Power Steering Failure

Post by Seanw26 »

Hey not sure where to help you, but how’ve you been getting on? Have you fixed it ? I’m having loads of electrical trouble with my power steering too
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Power Steering Failure

Post by iichel »

Seanw26 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:26 pm Hey not sure where to help you, but how’ve you been getting on? Have you fixed it ? I’m having loads of electrical trouble with my power steering too
It is not uncommon to have the pump itself fail, but it might be worthwhile to also check out the fuses and the connectors of the pump itself. The pump is located below the left hand side headlight.