Polo 2002 9N car stereo in safe mode

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
martinktm
New
Drives: Polo 2002 9n

Polo 2002 9N car stereo in safe mode

Post by martinktm »

Hi,

I have a polo that still has original car stereo that is in safe mode.
The first problem is that I don't have code. Supposedly it could be in trunk where spare wheel is,
there is a sticker with a lot of numbers on it and I don't know which is correct if any.

The second problem is that I tried to enter code two times and the stereo is in safe 2 mode.
Pressing TP and TA doesn't put car stereo in code entry mode anymore.
Should I disconnect the car battery and wait so I can reenter the code?

Thanks for all your help.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: Polo 2002 9N car stereo in safe mode

Post by Bepis »

Welcome to the forum :).

The radio code won't be on the build sticker under the boot floor unless someone has written it.

With it being the original radio to the car it shouldn't need the code most of the time but it's typically at the back of the owners manual on a card but if someone has removed that and not written it down then you'd probably need to call your local dealer and get it from them at a cost most likely.

As for getting it out of 2 SAFE you need to leave the radio on for an hour or two (not 100% sure which) then it should go to SAFE where it will then want the code. If you don't have the code once it's in SAFE I'd try a battery disconnect and reconnect and see if the radio recognises the car as I think they're "paired" with either the ECU or instrument cluster.

Also mentioned in another post that sometimes it could take a few cycles of the ignition for the radio to unlock itself and should display "learn" when doing so.
viewtopic.php?t=51849

Worth a try so you don't have to spend anything.

Hope that helps :)