Ghost in the electrics - ground issues

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Ghost in the electrics - ground issues

Post by littlepolo »

I'm now quite certain that the funny goings on with my 2002 Polo is due to ground issues. Windows going up and down when it's damp, fog light coming on with sidelights, fog light coming on with brake pedal push, rear hatch not releasing on central locking, and rear wiper not working, etc. Well, it's summer and most things are working. I'll replace my tailgate trim and just want to prepare for winter. Any suggestions where to look for ground issues or where to test please? I recall one old chesnut problem was a potential ground wire issue in the tailgate. On a visual inspection I could not see anything. Is there a way to jumper a fresh ground lead to circumvent that (assuming it might actually still be the problem)?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Ghost in the electrics - ground issues

Post by littlepolo »

Thinking I was in the clear (rear wiper working, tailgate release on central locking) I put the tailgate trim back after many months in the shed.

No sooner had I done that I went out in wet weather and the tailgate wiper did not work! It comes on occasionally/intermittently.

The tailgate is still releasing at the moment.

The other ghost that came back was the clunk on starting after slowing/stopping. It seems the trans is not downshifting. My workaround is to press the accelerator gently to reduce the clunk when it eventually shifts. Is it more than coincidence that this reoccurred after months (since spring) with barely an issue?

Could this be ground problems confusing the computer? Water in the works somewhere?

The ground connectors in the rear boot nearside wing seem sound.