Knock Sensor fault - 2004 1.4 16v ('Match')

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Breadvan
New
Drives: 1.4 2004 Match

Knock Sensor fault - 2004 1.4 16v ('Match')

Post by Breadvan »

Hi, I've had an error pop up. Got Engine warning light so plugged in my fault reader.

Gave me this:
  • 1. Is it definitely the knock sensor?
  • 2. Where is it exactly?
  • 3. How easy would they be to replace? I'm by no means a mechanic but I used to fix pedal bikes for a living so I'm not exactly clueless either. Can get hold of a torque wrench (I'm aware these things need to be torqued up correctly).
  • 4. If too hard how expensive a job is it for my mechanic? Rough idea if possible.
  • 5. Is it safe to drive in the interim? It seems to work fine. Was hoping to use it a bit as its been sat unused for a while.
Incredibly annoying as it only occurred when I was driving it back from its MOT.

Car is basically a spare. It was my Dads. Relatively low mileage (75k) and I'm keeping it so my wife can use it (when she passes her test - failed twice now). So I'm hesitant to spend much money on it. Might just SORN it until she's passed.

Thanks in advance. :D

If the images aren't showing they can be found here:
https://imgur.com/a/4VwrKqx
https://imgur.com/a/s2jeyDU
Breadvan
New

Re: Knock Sensor fault - 2004 1.4 16v ('Match')

Post by Breadvan »

I had a look again. Removed the engine cover. Found the Knock Sensor. Its a bit awkard to get to.

I think the upshot is I can't access it without removing a few things. Not massively comfortable with doing that so I'll leave it (although I had my 2 year old 'helping' me this afternoon so it may not be so bad when I'm alone).

From what I've read its not too bad to drive with the warning light (given the error code). I'll give the car a few gentle drives over the next week. Then the insurance lapses and I'll park it up for a few months. Will get a service once we put it back into use and have the problem fixed then (if its worthwhile to do so). Its a shame as I was looking forward to driving it a bit but will save money on insurance and VED. We have another car so no worries.

Someone also suggested it may be the PCM module and not the knock sensor. So it'd just be my luck that I replace the knock sensor only for it not to be that.
Breadvan
New

Re: Knock Sensor fault - 2004 1.4 16v ('Match')

Post by Breadvan »

Drove it around tonight. Its absolutely fine. I'll maybe fix it, but might just continue to use it.