2 part paint (rattle can)

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

2 part paint (rattle can)

Post by littlepolo »

I have just sprayed my front o/s wing and rear n/s front wheel arch to patch up some rough paintwork. I've 'oversprayed' the good part of the panel to blend the repair. The paint surface after spraying is not perfect, with some light orange peel (which seems the norm from factory now...) and some 'dry' areas where the paint has perhaps been applied too lightly.

Before I move to spray with the lacquer, can I use a very light wet and dry paper to smooth the surface or will that affect the lustre/colour through the lacquer?

How long do I need to leave the base coat before using wet and dry (if possible) or applying lacquer?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 2 part paint (rattle can)

Post by RUM4MO »

Come on you self confessed rattle can experts, with a member some good advise!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: 2 part paint (rattle can)

Post by littlepolo »

Done, a couple of excellent videos on YouTube. Spray light base coat for coverage and to highlight defects. Two coats on top, 75% overlap. Move quickly, don't worry too much... Some people recommended 1500/2000 and or cutting after a few days hardening. A couple of coats of clear coat layed on fairly quickly and heavily. Cut as needed after hardening, buff.

That will do, I think, especially considering that the fresh paint will make the rest of the bodywork look bad (even though it's not really bad). I'm reminded of a Father Ted sketch...