why is the timing belt tracking to the left?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
larry
New
Drives: vw polo 9n

why is the timing belt tracking to the left?

Post by larry »

greetings, changed the timing belt on bby engine , main belt is tracking to the left of cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX1t6doWxjw

did i incorrectly install the tensioner ?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: why is the timing belt tracking to the left?

Post by littlepolo »

Did the engine run after install? It will be held within track of the pulley guide/limits. Did you replace studs? It seems something is out of line, cross threaded/bent? I'd back track and refit.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm sure that this has been discussed in the past either here or the Skoda or SEAT motoring forums, so I'd think that it is normal and probably due to either sharing components with other engines or a design error/limitation, I certainly noticed that on my wife's previous car a 2002 BBY engined Polo after it got its belts etc replaced twice.

Edit:- it looks like you have used a Dayco main timing belt as I can see the PTFE coated inner surface - something else that has been discussed on these VW Group forums, ie "why/what is Dayco belts got on their inner running surface?" I think that VW Group use Dayco for these belts in the service packs.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I always buy the Gates kit (incl w/p) and have never had a problem.
larry
New

Post by larry »

Here is the engine running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX1t6doWxjw

i am beginning to think that it could be the belts. why would the smaller belt track to the left ? both belts are tracking to the the left . all components used are dayco.
larry
New

Post by larry »

Did you replace studs? It seems something is out of line, cross threaded/bent? I'd back track and refit.
yes, brand new studs .
larry
New

Post by larry »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm I'm sure that this has been discussed in the past either here or the Skoda or SEAT motoring forums, so I'd think that it is normal and probably due to either sharing components with other engines or a design error/limitation, I certainly noticed that on my wife's previous car a 2002 BBY engined Polo after it got its belts etc replaced twice.

Edit:- it looks like you have used a Dayco main timing belt as I can see the PTFE coated inner surface - something else that has been discussed on these VW Group forums, ie "why/what is Dayco belts got on their inner running surface?" I think that VW Group use Dayco for these belts in the service packs.

did it track to the left more than this ?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry I'd be lying if I said either way, that car was traded in in August 2015, so I've forgotten - but my initial concern was for the way the main belt did run over to one side on the toothed pulley.
Euler2
New
Drives: 9N 1.4 TDI AMF 2003

Post by Euler2 »

On looking at the first photo, is it just me or does it look like the tensioner retaining arm is not seated properly below the flange bolt as it seems to sit on the bolt instead of sitting below the flange bolt.
Is that the way it is supposed to be ?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

That is how it is supposed to be. It is just an index/position marker for the assembly.