What model Polo should I buy next?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Nelson_Wilbury

What model Polo should I buy next?

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Right as you know I only have a 55bhp Polo S at the moment, but I do over 50 miles a day and It's getting a bit of a bore having that amount of power under the bonnet :cry:

So, I have been looking at (you've guessed it) another Polo :) I have £12500 MAXIMUM to spend, though please note the current £850 offers and employee 5% discount.

The problem is once my 'must have' options have been added it ends up near £13K :x My 'must have' options are 6CD player, Metallic paint, Colour Pack, and 16 inch wheels. I adore 'San Marino' wheels but it looks like its gonna be 'Barcelona' wheels this time around. Why are VW extras so rediculously expensive :evil:

I would like a SE or Sport but just can't decide which engine to go for, does anyone know what the FSi is like?

Cheers

Neil
dxg

Post by dxg »

First off, welcome to the forum, Nelson, you're sure to like it here!

As for your questions, all I can offer are opinions. I have no idea about prices - sorry.

Personally, I have an SE (75hp), but wish I had more. The engine's nice and relaxed at low speeds, but you still have to plan your overtaking, especially at motorway speeds. Also in city driving, you have to get the engine up about 4.5k before anything much happens - I find I myself asking for power in fourth btwn 30-40mph, finding no torque and having to drop down to the third - but I;m just lazy when it comes to gear changes, I guess. It's a lovely engine for country lanes though. Makes a fantastic sound when pushed - although passengers have criticised it for being "harsh" and "unrefined" - but I don't see this, myself.

I miss the low end grunt of the torque the 75hp (1.4?) TDI I test drove had - I think I could have lived with the noise of the diesel in exchange for the better driving experience.

I have no idea what the FSi would be like - in fact, I've never seen one. I'd suggest the TDI woudl be better - more relaxing to drive around town, fuel aspect for your 50miles a day - can't what it's like on the mway, though. If I wanted a fast car capable of being exciting above 70 on the occasional mway journeys, I'd look at the 100hp petrol, but have no idea what that would cost. Sparkstack's sig says he has a 1.9TDI - perhaps he'd be best to comment here??

My local dealer has (had? - didn't see it on Friday when I was there (again)) a silver Polo with the Barcelona alloys on it - looked v. good (although maybe the spokes were a little too fat at the rim?). This polo was also badged "16V" on the rear (rather than "1.4" per my SE) - could it have been the 100hp Sport??

I'd also comment that if you go for an SE rather than a Sport, make sure you get the Sport suspension fitted - the steering needs it!

I'm actually thinking seriously about some alloys for mine (I have the Melbournes, but so do too many others!!) - have you seen the San Marinos in the flesh - what did you think of them? - more importantly, did you get a price? - I thought both the San Marinos and the Barcelonas were £700.

Do you need the Cd changer from VW? What about one the Sony (and others, I guess) compatible ones that also read MP3s. £300, afaik. (Also, I'd be interested in knowing if the Polo's are prewired for a CD changer ala the Golf's - where would I look in the boot for a connector - anyone?? (I'm try to get an line signal into the standard gamma hu))

While I'm here <g> - what's the colour pack?

A final thought:

Why not wait another year or two (better for your depreciation curve as well, surely??) - have you heard the rumours about a supposed "R series" being established across the range? i.e. Lupo gets a R18 (1.8T), Polo gets a ???????, Golf already has its R32. This is what I'm banking on. Have grown to love my Polo (despite its problems), just wish it was faster. (AND NOT BL**DY BLACK!!!)

Post by Guest »

Nelson_Wilbury wrote:So, I have been looking at (you've guessed it) another Polo :) I have £12500 MAXIMUM to spend, though please note the current £850 offers and employee 5% discount.

The problem is once my 'must have' options have been added it ends up near £13K :x My 'must have' options are 6CD player, Metallic paint, Colour Pack, and 16 inch wheels. I adore 'San Marino' wheels but it looks like its gonna be 'Barcelona' wheels this time around.
Hmm,
Why don't you go for the 1.4 petrol 3 door sport? It's got a hundred horses for £11,910otr plus £200 for the Barcelona's and another £245 for the paint. The 6CD changer is included and the colour pack is £75.

Total £12430 Whats the problem buddy :wink:

If you could scrape together another £700 you could go for the 1.9PD tdi. Another hundred horses but twice the torque. And a much better car because of it (not that i'm biased :lol: ) Plus it's miles cheaper to run!
dxg wrote:While I'm here <g> - what's the colour pack?
Colour coded bumper and side rubbing strips.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

dxg wrote:First off, welcome to the forum, Nelson, you're sure to like it here!

As for your questions, all I can offer are opinions. I have no idea about prices - sorry.

Personally, I have an SE (75hp), but wish I had more. The engine's nice and relaxed at low speeds, but you still have to plan your overtaking, especially at motorway speeds. Also in city driving, you have to get the engine up about 4.5k before anything much happens - I find I myself asking for power in fourth btwn 30-40mph, finding no torque and having to drop down to the third - but I;m just lazy when it comes to gear changes, I guess. It's a lovely engine for country lanes though. Makes a fantastic sound when pushed - although passengers have criticised it for being "harsh" and "unrefined" - but I don't see this, myself.

I miss the low end grunt of the torque the 75hp (1.4?) TDI I test drove had - I think I could have lived with the noise of the diesel in exchange for the better driving experience.

I have no idea what the FSi would be like - in fact, I've never seen one. I'd suggest the TDI woudl be better - more relaxing to drive around town, fuel aspect for your 50miles a day - can't what it's like on the mway, though. If I wanted a fast car capable of being exciting above 70 on the occasional mway journeys, I'd look at the 100hp petrol, but have no idea what that would cost. Sparkstack's sig says he has a 1.9TDI - perhaps he'd be best to comment here??

My local dealer has (had? - didn't see it on Friday when I was there (again)) a silver Polo with the Barcelona alloys on it - looked v. good (although maybe the spokes were a little too fat at the rim?). This polo was also badged "16V" on the rear (rather than "1.4" per my SE) - could it have been the 100hp Sport??

I'd also comment that if you go for an SE rather than a Sport, make sure you get the Sport suspension fitted - the steering needs it!

I'm actually thinking seriously about some alloys for mine (I have the Melbournes, but so do too many others!!) - have you seen the San Marinos in the flesh - what did you think of them? - more importantly, did you get a price? - I thought both the San Marinos and the Barcelonas were £700.

Do you need the Cd changer from VW? What about one the Sony (and others, I guess) compatible ones that also read MP3s. £300, afaik. (Also, I'd be interested in knowing if the Polo's are prewired for a CD changer ala the Golf's - where would I look in the boot for a connector - anyone?? (I'm try to get an line signal into the standard gamma hu))

While I'm here <g> - what's the colour pack?

A final thought:

Why not wait another year or two (better for your depreciation curve as well, surely??) - have you heard the rumours about a supposed "R series" being established across the range? i.e. Lupo gets a R18 (1.8T), Polo gets a ???????, Golf already has its R32. This is what I'm banking on. Have grown to love my Polo (despite its problems), just wish it was faster. (AND NOT BL**DY BLACK!!!)
Nice to be hear dxg, its also nice to finally have a place to share your Polo experiences :)

My Mum has the MK5 VW Polo with the 1.4 75bhp engine in and I also find it low on mid range grunt. I litterally just went down town in my car (55bhp 1.2) to get a takeaway for dinner. First a cocky idiot (boy racer I assume) in a 80's Vauxhall Astra was following very closly behind, you know the situation. Anyway, we were in a 30 limit straight and a 60 limit was up ahead, I decided to drop it into third gear (I rarely do this I might add :twisted: ) and just floored it. I didn't count how long it took to get to 65mph, but believe me it was ALLOT quicker than 6000 miles ago and the Vauxhall just couldn't keep up, not bad for a 55bhp engine!! The 1.2's have quite short gearing so while they are nippy the fuel consuption does suffer, the official figure is 47mpg but I'm probably getting about 40mpg and I nearly ALWAYS drive in fifth when I can.

I have driven about four A2 TDI's from work, they do pick up extremely well from 30mph which will mean it'll probably be perfect for me, they do sound a bit clattery when cold but I suppose I could definately live with that because I much prefer a bit of turbo kick.
The 1.4 16V 100bhp is pretty a similar situation with the 75, just not much mid range grunt. I hear the PD 100bhp is a stormer but because I'm only 17 the insurance would be a big problem and would definately rule out an R series car :cry: . The dealer car you saw would have deen the 1000bhp 1.4 as they are badge '16v'.

I agree with you on the suspension, like most VW's it does suffer badly from body roll when you get a bit eagar, Sports suspension is on the list :wink:

I have only seen the San Marinos once, they were on a 1.4 tdi sport, they are a £750 option on the sport only, but separate the are £325 each!!!! The Barcelonas on the SE are £275 option from new, £200 on Sport. I too have the Melbournes on my Car, I thought they'd fill the arches allot better, but VW, like most manufacturers, 'stretches' the pictures to make them look bigger than they are :roll:

I have just realised I can take the front loading 6CD from my car, saves me £350 :lol: They are prewired for front loading but i'm not sure about boot mounted, I'm pretty they're not.
The colour pack is something they decided to miss off the early brochures (which had me fuming). It's basically door mirrors, handles and mouldings colour coded for a bargain £75, though if you want the grille colour coded you have to order it manually from parts and get it painted.

I would like to buy the new car within the next two months to save £825, I know i'm losing allot but I'm getting a good price new so i't can't be that bad :P

Anyway, I think this is what I'll go for...

POLO 1.4 TDI SE 3DR
OTR: £12.060
-£825: £11,235

OPTIONS:
MULTIFUNTION COMPUTER: £75
SPORTS SUSPENSION: £150
BARCELONA WHEELS £275
COLOUR PACK: £75
FOG LIGHTS: £165
METALLIC PAINT: £245

TOTAL: £12,220
-5%: £11.609

I'm thinking of adding Climate control, its there any noticeable difference?

Thanks

Neil

Post by Guest »

Nelson_Wilbury wrote:The Barcelonas on the SE are £275 option from new, £200 on Sport.
Sorry, but the SE has had a spec change. It don't get alloys as standard anymore, so if you want the Barcelona's on a SE it's gonna cost you a cool £700 :shock:
Nelson_Wilbury wrote: I have just realised I can take the front loading 6CD from my car, saves me £350 :lol: They are prewired for front loading but i'm not sure about boot mounted, I'm pretty they're not.
How do you change the currently playing CD without going into the boot and pressing button 1-6? Why don't you just put it in the same place in the new car? :?
Nelson_Wilbury wrote: I would like to buy the new car within the next two months to save £825, I know i'm losing allot but I'm getting a good price new so i't can't be that bad :P
The price is here to stay, so i wouldn't worry about having to get one in a couple of months.
Nelson_Wilbury wrote: Anyway, I think this is what I'll go for...

POLO 1.4 TDI SE 3DR

OPTIONS:
BARCELONA WHEELS £275

Your prices are out by £425 because of the new price of the alloys.

Nelson_Wilbury wrote: I'm thinking of adding Climate control, its there any noticeable difference?
Yeah. £300 and a 3 month wait. Any car with a major list of options like that is gonna take a factory order. We Ordered our Sport last Sat. If we wanted any options at all it would have resulted in a factory order. There was only 2 cars the same spec as ours and the first one disapeared off the computer whilst we was sorting out the paperwork :shock:
So we went the standard route. It's now at the dealers, pick it up next Sat :)

Nelson, you would be better off getting the Sport 1.4 tdi, as i said above. The sport with the Barcelona's Alloys is only one option above standard spec there is bound to be a car in the UK with with them on. (there was a few when we were looking on the system anyway.

POLO 1.4 TDI Sport
OTR: £11,945

OPTIONS:
BARCELONA WHEELS £200

TOTAL: £12,465
-5%: £11,841

Sell your changer for a couple of hundered and your laughing.

BTW the colour pack is a rip off on anything above the S model. The SE and Sport comes with Body coloured mirrors and 'andles as standard, so in effect your paying twice for the same thing. Hava a word with the dealer about it and you will get it for less

Regards

Paul.

:: Edited a couple of time's so far :roll:
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

sparkstack wrote:
Nelson_Wilbury wrote:The Barcelonas on the SE are £275 option from new, £200 on Sport.
Sorry, but the SE has had a spec change. It don't get alloys as standard anymore, so if you want the Barcelona's on a SE it's gonna cost you a cool £700 :shock:
Nelson_Wilbury wrote: I have just realised I can take the front loading 6CD from my car, saves me £350 :lol: They are prewired for front loading but i'm not sure about boot mounted, I'm pretty they're not.
How do you change the currently playing CD without going into the boot and pressing button 1-6? Why don't you just put it in the same place in the new car? :?
Nelson_Wilbury wrote: I would like to buy the new car within the next two months to save £825, I know i'm losing allot but I'm getting a good price new so i't can't be that bad :P
The price is here to stay, so i wouldn't worry about having to get one in a couple of months.
Nelson_Wilbury wrote: Anyway, I think this is what I'll go for...

POLO 1.4 TDI SE 3DR

OPTIONS:
BARCELONA WHEELS £275

Your prices are out by £425 because of the new price of the alloys.

Nelson_Wilbury wrote: I'm thinking of adding Climate control, its there any noticeable difference?
Yeah. £300 and a 3 month wait. Any car with a major list of options like that is gonna take a factory order. We Ordered our Sport last Sat. If we wanted any options at all it would have resulted in a factory order. There was only 2 cars the same spec as ours and the first one disapeared off the computer whilst we was sorting out the paperwork :shock:
So we went the standard route. It's now at the dealers, pick it up next Sat :)

Nelson, you would be better off getting the Sport 1.4 tdi, as i said above. The sport with the Barcelona's Alloys is only one option above standard spec there is bound to be a car in the UK with with them on. (there was a few when we were looking on the system anyway.

POLO 1.4 TDI Sport
OTR: £11,945

OPTIONS:
BARCELONA WHEELS £200

TOTAL: £12,465
-5%: £11,841

Sell your changer for a couple of hundered and your laughing.

BTW the colour pack is a rip off on anything above the S model. The SE and Sport comes with Body coloured mirrors and 'andles as standard, so in effect your paying twice for the same thing. Hava a word with the dealer about it and you will get it for less

Regards

Paul.

:: Edited a couple of time's so far :roll:
Wow! Thanks for that, it does seem like the best option. Do you have any pictures on your Oceanic Green Polo? Sounds a good colour combination. I was going to go for that colour but in the end I went for Indigo Blue. While I agree that the Colour pack is a bit of a rip off on more expensive models, from pictures I have seen it does look worth it :P I never knew you could chat dealers down on options? Or so they lead me to believe :roll:
What options did you get with yours, just the wheels? Strange about the new prices, I just spoke to my local VW dealer today and they said the offers would last 'a couple of months'.

BTW, about the CD player thing. I was replying to dxg, thats why it reads strangely, lol!

Post by Guest »

Nelson_Wilbury wrote:Wow! Thanks for that, it does seem like the best option. Do you have any pictures on your Oceanic Green Polo? Sounds a good colour combination. I was going to go for that colour but in the end I went for Indigo Blue.
No Probs! As for Pictures, not yet. only pick it up next week...
While I agree that the Colour pack is a bit of a rip off on more expensive models, from pictures I have seen it does look worth it :P I never knew you could chat dealers down on options? Or so they lead me to believe :roll:
I think you misunderstood what i meant. The colour pack does look good and for £75 notes it's not a bad price. You get the body coloured strips, side strips, mirrors & handles for it. But hang on, read the spec of the SE and the Sport. They come with body coloured mirrors and handles. So if you bought either the SE or the sport & you want the colour pack, you pay VW £75 and only get the body coloured strips & side strips. :? Do you see what i mean? Usually when there is an overlap like that VW list two versions, with differing prices.

It's the same with the Winter pack. £275 gets you heated seats, heated washer jets, and headlight washers. Great, but read the spec for the Sport and you find it comes with heated washer jets already.

It's a typo in the price list. and so if you hastle the dealer about it he will get a revised price for you.
What options did you get with yours, just the wheels?
None. If we wanted any options at all it would have meant a factory order.
I would have liked the San Marino's, and there was a car available with them in the UK, but the wife baulked at paying £700 for them!
Strange about the new prices, I just spoke to my local VW dealer today and they said the offers would last 'a couple of months'.
Well they would. Ask them if they have the latest price list (issue 6) as most dealers don't. Both dealers i went into had to look in myprice list that VWUK sent me, as they were still working from issue 5 :shock:
BTW, about the CD player thing. I was replying to dxg, thats why it reads strangely, lol!
Fair enough, but i still suggest you sell it. Advertise it here or in the other VW forums, infact i think someone on the UK-MKIVS forum is after one.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

sparkstack wrote:
Nelson_Wilbury wrote:

Fair enough, but i still suggest you sell it. Advertise it here or in the other VW forums, infact i think someone on the UK-MKIVS forum is after one.
BTW, if ANYONE wants a front loading VW 6CD player, can get them for you at near enough cost (£265.00). Obviously I may do it for a couple of people, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. The boss would shoot me!! :? Actually, I may buy yellow as a colour, and three wheels!! :lol:
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

How much could you get a single CD player for?
tdisport
Getting There!

75bhp

Post by tdisport »

i'd recommend new polo on style (NOT build quality!!) and the 1.4 tdi is a nice engine. good economy and more than enough power!

1.9 also good but dont think worth extra money - extra power not that noticeble and worse economy/insurance!!
Also, doesn't sound as nice!