Post by dino »

Ben (think thats your name)

For a 1L your car looks awesome :D
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

cheers mate
i must admit its a little slow from a standstill for me but thats partly due to the 16's i've been told, maybe i should be 13's :lol:
still a GTI is a dream yet to be realised!
-Ben-
stuart_hatch
Bronze Member

Post by stuart_hatch »

Yep, and lets face it, you didnt buy your 1ltr for its performance neither did i buy either of my cars for the performance!

Yes i can get beaten by 1.6 corsas saxo's etc, but who cares, i know what i'd rather drive a polo anyday
stuart_hatch
Bronze Member

Post by stuart_hatch »

polopowah wrote:cheers mate
i must admit its a little slow from a standstill for me but thats partly due to the 16's i've been told, maybe i should be 13's :lol:
still a GTI is a dream yet to be realised!
-Ben-
Yeh probably is, im amazed how much slower going from 13 inch alloys to 15's has made to my car
SteB
Silver Member

Post by SteB »

Tahrey1043 wrote:Doubt that very many people in this country as a whole ever use their engine's full potential...
Well... It'd be rude not to, all 40 brake at 5900rpm, ive explored it all!! :wink:
Tahrey1043 wrote:And hell, i could beat a 1.3 Ka on my pushbike. Or in an 895cc polo.... ;) (22 seconds? would have thought the weight advantage might knock a little more off the power disadvantage than that, oh well.... bet it can hold the speed like a mini).
Youve never lived till youve been up to nearly 100 in a mk1 !! :lol:

and for the record... the Polo N figures are:
0-50 in12.7secs, 0-60 in 21.2 secs, top speed 82mph !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lmao !!!
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Haha ben dont forget i've been driving one much the same for a couple years.

It's not anywhere near as sluggish in regular use as most people who have never been in anything under a 1.3 would try to have you beleive before taking it on, but the paper figures and own test runs show that it's lacking a bit in the raw thrust stakes (and all those aborted and mile-and-a-half-of-3rd-gear-on-a-clear-road overtaking runs).

...I conveniently skipped all the challenges that it failed and the number of times i've had to pull over to the middle (or left lane - or dodge onto the shoulder) with my foot buried into the pseudo-carpet :)

Still its a nice little go-kart and 99% of the time got enough punt to keep you out of harms way, raise a smile, and surprise the odd person who's dozing along / cant control a car for toffee / is driving some horrible bit of chav crap.
*gets stuck behind dumbler at 40mph*
*clutches down*
*cold-welds throttle pedal to backstop with force of right foot*
*jams it hard and unmercifully into 2nd*
*tosses coin to decide either sidestepping pedal or embarking on a clutch-ride of legendary proportions*

'AVE IT

PS as said not enough already - very nice ride* ... inspiring, if but it had been possible to copy.

* the words "for a one litre!" are not in my vocab here

EDIT lol SteB, what exactly happens between 50 and 60mph to make that one 10mph interval take almost as long as the entire slog to 50 itself? :D
Take comfort in the fact your official top speed may be "low", but you can still worry Smart cars quite happily down the m-way ;)
(yeah.... if you have 50hp or less... it should be a law to occasionally cane it hard through the peak band... it's almost a natural justice)
SteB
Silver Member

Post by SteB »

Tahrey1043 wrote:* the words "for a one litre!" are not in my vocab here
tehehe

at this juncture i must also add... "1. i thrashed the t1ts of my mk1 for 9.5k miles and loved every second (sorry to the slipper wearing enthusiasts), and it was still VERY slow. 2. I also own a 1600cc mk4 polo, which is also slow as feck and also gets the sh1t whipped out of it, and it hate it, and finally.... 3. i dont race faster cars because its not big and its not clever... and cool kids dont do drugs"

thankyouplease
polopowah

Post by polopowah »

give that a man a round of applause! :lol:
-Ben-
Toopay
New

Post by Toopay »

this isnt me, but my m8 has a 1.0L toyota yarris VVTi, and it is soddin punchy or a wee engine, really suprising really, i still like showing him up in my polo gt tho! :lol:
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

the original 998cc yaris has like 70hp doesn't it? wonder what the vvti gets... unless they're ALL vvtis of course lol

mind you in a car that shape and size it would probably give a GT a very close run for it's money
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Im just pulling a 1.0 engine out my car now, and have to say its the slowest thing off the mark I have ever driven.
I was tried a sprint test at Trax last year when the system was being re-built.
Spent an hour taking all the interier out, and could not even get to 60mph by the end marker!

Ive been useing the girlfriends 5 door 1.1i saxo while mines off the road, its much quicker.
Once raced her at the lights, all I can say is, thank God no one saw it.

Once moving the 1.0 engine seems very touquie (sp?) through 40-80 its supprisenly quick.
Always wondered if the gearing was from another engine?
Even so, for the price W are charging for these small engined cars, I would expect a gearbox designed to work with what should be classed as a city run around.

Maybe thats what it is?
Park up and run around to get there quicker?
polopowah

Post by polopowah »

Tigz wrote:Im just pulling a 1.0 engine out my car now, and have to say its the slowest thing off the mark I have ever driven.
I was tried a sprint test at Trax last year when the system was being re-built.
Spent an hour taking all the interier out, and could not even get to 60mph by the end marker!

Ive been useing the girlfriends 5 door 1.1i saxo while mines off the road, its much quicker.
Once raced her at the lights, all I can say is, thank God no one saw it.

Once moving the 1.0 engine seems very touquie (sp?) through 40-80 its supprisenly quick.
Always wondered if the gearing was from another engine?
Even so, for the price W are charging for these small engined cars, I would expect a gearbox designed to work with what should be classed as a city run around.

Maybe thats what it is?
Park up and run around to get there quicker?
couldn't disagree more :roll:

-Ben-
BLACK6N_POLO
Silver Member

Post by BLACK6N_POLO »

i disagree too :roll:
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

What parts of it do you disagree with?
All of it? :roll:
polopowah

Post by polopowah »

o a few things
:wink:

pick of the bunch

"I would expect a gearbox designed to work with what should be classed as a city run around"

seems pretty nippy to me i welcome anyone who wants to see what i mean.
1.0 polo mk5 mpi vs 1.1 saxo
:roll:
most 1.2's are on par with the polo 1.0 because of its torque figures.
don't buy vw's just for looks :)
ok i admit the top end speed isn't all that and its pretty gutless from 1st to 2nd, but from 2nd to 3rd it would poo on the saxo.

-Ben-