fuel prices

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
warrmr
Silver Member

fuel prices

Post by warrmr »

I had this email sent to me today
-----------------------------------------------------------------
We are hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1 a ltr. Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers.

It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at ESSO/BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends this note out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this note, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

good idea with plently of potential. the prices are a joke but not a very funny one.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

Interesting, but the fuel price issue goes further than just Esso/BP.

The main issue in this country, is still the duty on tax imposed by the Government. We're still just an easy cash-cow for the Treasury, done with the excuse of "environmental protection".

Then theres the complete mess that is the Middle-East security situation, the rampant industrial expansion of China, aggressive OPEC strategies, which all play their part in why we are paying stupid prices.
DelG40
Gold Member

Post by DelG40 »

Yep, very good idea. But like someone else said, the problem is not purely with oil companies... they don't control the final price. Our government and their complete rip-off tax does.
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

We should all buy a bike :lol:
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

95p? My BP Ultimate is 97.9p a litre at the moment and no, I'm not changing. It's the only place I can get premium fuel for at least a 15-mile radius and I'm happy to pay extra for the choice to fill my tank with premium fuel. Yes, prices are on the up and I'm not too happy about that, but I don't have a choice at the moment :?

You'll be lucky to see 69p per litre though!
razvwpolo
Getting There!

Post by razvwpolo »

not that bad where i live the local total garage is 87.9p a litre for petrol
DelG40
Gold Member

Post by DelG40 »

Local ASDAs are 87.9p just now I think for me
razvwpolo
Getting There!

Post by razvwpolo »

see so not all that bad then....
tom_mk5
Silver Member

Post by tom_mk5 »

The garage I usually go to is 86.8 which isn't too bad, although I remember not so long ago it was 'only' 79.9. I'm seeing it creep up all the time.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

When I started driving prices around here were around 79p/litre, that was only a couple of years ago. It's amazing how much it's gone up.

Protests like this are all very well and good, but aren't going to achieve anything. The oil companies charge very, very little for our petrol relative to the final cost, their prices are dictated currently by the difficulty in obtaining fuel due to tensions in the middle east where most of our oil comes from. The government is responsible for the vast, vast majority of fuel costs, and if you want to get prices lowered they are the ones you want to be confronting. Think about it, the average fuel price across america is currently $2.586 / gallon, which is 32p / litre, and they're complaining that it's the highest they've seen for a long time. It shows quite how much of our cost is tax rather than actual costs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... world_news
Worth a read.
Jillwilson
Silver Member

Post by Jillwilson »

Your right however if the large companies i.e. BP & Esso get distressed at the fact there sales are dropping their the ones who will then confront the government.
At the end of the days its worth a try its not really hard to do.
In eygpt it was fantastic only like 20p/litre lol.
x
omicron
Gold Member

Re: fuel prices

Post by omicron »

warrmr wrote: It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this note, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
Ermm, I could be wrong on this but....

Didn't Shell and BP merge?
Don't at least one of the supermarkets get their juice from Esso?
Jillwilson
Silver Member

Post by Jillwilson »

Not sure about the supermarket thing but pretty sure Shell and BP havnt merged.
x
MadManMike
Silver Member

Post by MadManMike »

We could club together and build a car that runs on Value Cola from Tesco... 8p a litre :lol: :lol:

Face it, fuel prices will rise, there's jack we can do about it... :cry: :cry: