Flash home car wash system

Detailing & Bodywork
Si_GTi

Flash home car wash system

Post by Si_GTi »

Guys,

Thought I'd report my findings having bought and used one of these new Flash home car wash thingies, as advertised on the television!

This is the product in question:

At first, have to admit I was very dubious of this product, as usually the only way to clean your car and get a clean and shiny finish, lacking of any watermarks or smears, is to do it yourself! But I've been reading some decent reviews on the TsN forums so I thought, "ah, what the hell, I'll go and buy one and see what gives" :lol:

It turned out to be dead simple. You get a handheld "gun" that attaches to your hosepipe and holds the shampoo and the water filters (more on that later) and you simply follow a four-stage process, rinse--shampoo--rinse--autodry. When shampooing you can havea sponge or wash mitt handy to shift the dirt and wipe the panels over - be sure to have abucket of clean water nearby though as the sponge can get quite dirty after washing a couple of panels! The last stage, autodry, is where the filters come in. Having rinsed the car clean and washed all the suds off, you then switch the dial round to autodry and rinse the car again, this time with water that has been filtered through the built-in cartridge. The difference is that the filtered water forms a light film over the paintwork instead of beading, and evaporated from the paintwork without leaving water marks!

So after the watering and washing, you just bugger off and make a cuppa whilst it dries off. It took about 35-30 minutes, with the roof and bonnet taking longest to dry because they're the only flat panels on the car. The glass dried streak-free apart from one area that was in bright sunshine, so the glass polish will be out tomorrow :)

All-in-all a good job - had to go round with a trusty chamois and clean the door and boot shuts, and caught a few little runs of water from the wing mirrors and my sponge-like mesh grille (retains water like its on a hosepipe ban!) but the vast majority of the car came up spotfree, which was a pleasant surprise! I normally use Autoglym to clean my car, and I would say that the end result after using the Flash system was on a par with the AG Shampoo/Conditioner that I would normally have used.

The Flash kit itself costs £19.99, and rumours are it'll go up to £29.99 after an introductory period. For your money you get the gun, a bottle of shampoo, a filter cartridge and of course the (very simple) instructions. After washing the car I still have some shampoo left in the gun, and 2/3rds of the bottle left too. The filter, which is needed for that evaporation effect, is supposed to last for three washes before you go out and get some more - I'm yet to investigate the costs of a replacement filter but I've heard you can get a 10-use filter for £4.99, which sounds like pretty good value if its true! 50p per wash!

So, pros and cons:

Pros: fast, simple, does what it says on the packaging, good results!

Cons: You might find the initial outlay of £20 a little off-putting, and you might have to clean your glass after the water has evaporated if the car is in direct sunlight.

End result: a clean and shiny car! In my opinion, is it worth £20? You betcha :wink:

Anyone else bought or used this yet?

Cheers
jnm008
New

Post by jnm008 »

so you saw my post on TNS, helpful?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

jnm008 wrote:so you saw my post on TNS, helpful?
Yeah, you swung the vote for me :D cheers for that! Dunno how it would perform on a silver or white car but on my black Polo it worked a treat and, of course, no drying it off with a chamois! Nice.
JTLondon
Silver Member

Post by JTLondon »

Cool... I might try this and then give my car a wax. 8)

Then publish any results :D
Phil6N
Bronze Member

Post by Phil6N »

There great arnt they, i purchased one a couple of months back, another con is the fact of having to keep purchasing the drying filter things every so often. I clean me car a lot so its kind of a pain.
But overall i definately think its worth the £. :D
JTLondon
Silver Member

Post by JTLondon »

I saw this in Sainsburys for £19.99... reduced from £24.99.

I think I'll get it but probably only use it once in a while when I want to polish and wax... saves that extra time so doesnt take up the whole day :oops: :D
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

i think i'll stick to my karcher pressure washer and a good old bucket of hot water and car shampoo :lol:
JTLondon
Silver Member

Post by JTLondon »

I have neither :P

But there are cheap pressure washers for around £30 :roll:
Dunno if its better to get a pressure washer :roll:
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

i couldn't go back to cleaning my car without one, makes everything so much easier. Especially the rims!
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

I'm on my third Flash Car cleaner at the mo and now that's on it's way out.......... :cry: :cry: :cry:

The first one was faulty when i got it...... Water just sprayed out the bottom of the gun where the hosepipe connects....... I took it back and got another and after a couple of uses it started leaking a bit out of the bottom as well!!!!!

Got my third one which has lasted around 4 or 5 washes and guess what!!!! Yep that one has started leaking as well!!!!!

It seemed like a good idea when i got it, But I must admit though i did find it a pain having to spray over a small amount of the car with the soap function then go in with the sponge then rinse off.... then spray another part of the car and go over with a sponge & rinse off...... it seems a lot quicker to just spray over the whole car with a normal hosepipe and then get in there with the bucket of water & shampoo.... I've now ditched the flash gun and have gone back to the normal bucket / sponge..... it's only an extra 15-20 minutes or so when it comes to having to dry off with a chamois..... and less hassle i reckon.

Cheers

Dave.
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Just tighten the bottom bit then!

Hold the blue plastic bit tight then tighten the green surround.
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

dino wrote:Just tighten the bottom bit then!

Hold the blue plastic bit tight then tighten the green surround.
If you mean on the flash gun ..... It doesn't tighten..... the connector that connects to the hoselock hosepipe just spins round & round & round... Thats why i took the other two back because they were the same wouldn't tighten one bit..... The people in the shop tried too and got just as wet as i did when the water came squirting out the bottom of the gun.

Makes me wonder if i just have three from the same faulty batch.......

Cheers

Dave.