clutch advice

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

They vary, but basically, the cable comes from the car cabin to the clutch release lever. Where the cable comes out of its sheath and goes into the lever you could add a bit of packing to try it.
theclient
Silver Member

Post by theclient »

JWC wrote:
theclient wrote:yeah i always put it in reverse before i move (if im reversing obviously)

ive even had to turn the engine off and then engage reverse then start the car back up in desperate situations

mines a severe crunch not just a little grind
That definatly sounds like its not fully dissengaging and its dragging, if you use throttle, is it harder or easier?
im not sure what you mean by use the throttle?
if i rev it before i put it into reverse its even worse.

cheers JWC
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

Yeah, ok, then its not disengaging enough then.
theclient
Silver Member

Post by theclient »

so any ideas what i should do?

get the linkages re-aligned?

i want to get a new cable and sachs(sp) clutch
ttaw2
Bronze Member

Post by ttaw2 »

theclient wrote:so any ideas what i should do?

get the linkages re-aligned?

i want to get a new cable and sachs(sp) clutch
Where are you planning on getting the Sachs clutch - might have to bite the bullet and go for a new one soon (can't moan at 68k Miles).

I've been playing with the idea of a hydraulic replacement which would sort out all the pedal box problems completely - but I've not really advanced the idea much, and time (read friction plate) is fast running out
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

james - thanks for your advice, i adjusted the clutch this morning, and overall it feels a lot better, i'm guessing the gearbox is never going to feel wonderful, but i'm still having the problem with first gear, mostly when i've stopped at lights or a junction and need to engage it again, i dont like to force these things cos i know they can be a bit delicate, but it just feels like its 'blocked off', and i either try again or bring the clutch up, back down again and then try first again. does this sound like the gear linkage alignment? i phoned vw and they want £70 to look the gear linkages, so i'd like to be pretty certian that is the problem... any thoughts.... anybody?

ps - also i bought some slick 50, this goes straight in where the oil cap is on the engine yeh? as its front wheel drive i assume thats where it goes cos the oil flows through the gearbox too yeh?
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

The adjuster is in the middle of this picture.

No, the gearbox additive needs to be added to the gearbox oil, not the engine oil, they are different oil systems. They are usually filled to a level and so adding oil is difficult unless you first drain a tiny bit. You are supposed to use a special tool to take the bung out of the transmission, but I think you can use a large allen key.

If you have a rod linkage the haynes manual shows you how to adjust it so that it works better, cable like mine is much more difficult.
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

s**t, my father added it to the engine oil, will this cause problems? should i start to panic? this is really worrying me - have i bollocksed up my engine?
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

No, I think you should be ok, Gear oil is different to engine oil because it has things in it to stop the molecule breaking up at high pressures, but its not good at high temperatures. So it might begin to break up after some time. Asside from that its main components are molybdenum and PTFE I think, and both of these are very good for your engine.

I can't gurantee it, but I personally would probably leave it in until the next sheduled change and perhaps change it slightly earlier than normal. Unless something crops up. Its good to change oil every 4 - 6 months anyway especially if you drive short journeys.
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

say i want to attempt putting some of this in the right place this time lol whereabouts is the gearbox thingy for me to undo with an allen key?
If you have a rod linkage the haynes manual shows you how to adjust it so that it works better, cable like mine is much more difficult.
are you talking about the clutch here or the gear linkage?

thanks

ps - thanks james for your help
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

no-one know where to put this slick 50 for the gearbox? had a look under the bonnet but nothing obvious

ta guys
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

In the gearbox! Its on the front of the transmission housing, a 17mm Hex socket or a really big allen key. Make sure the car is DEAD level, and the level should be on the lower edge of the hole, in other words when you have the right amount in, it will pour it out on your shoe.
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

soz, must have sounded thick, i meant, i know its got to go in the grearbox, just didnt know whereabouts the bit was where i needed to pour it in
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

once again the graunch in the clutch has returned - is this a symptom of a clutch cable rubbing? the pedal box recal has been done, i checked before i bought the car, so it shouldnt be that
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

Its probably very cold.

"Its a bit like making love to a beautiful woman..... yadda yadda..."
"First you warm it up, raise the revs a bit, take it very slow, purposfully but firmly, then when she's ready it will slip in gently."

And be careful when using reverse, she has to be well and truly stopped, try taking your foot off the clutch and then trying again. <analogy doesn't apply here - at least I don't think so? :shock: >

In winter everything is a bit stiff. Don't be in such a rush.