POLO OVERHEATING

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Ams
New

POLO OVERHEATING

Post by Ams »

Hi there. i recently purchased a polo gti. I love it except for 1 problem. In this scorching summer, a few times already the temperature gauge on the polo was rising whilst the car was being driven or at a standstill. Its happened a few times now. Sometimes it gets so bad that the red light flashes. But the car soon cools down after 5 minutes or so. A dealer couldnt see any problem. Does anyone else have the same problem? Or, does anyone else know what the problem is and how it could be sorted.

Cheers.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I've never had this problem (although the GTi must run pretty hot - It's got a VR6 size radiator on it!)... In very hot weather, mine sometimes doesn't feel as responsive, but I have never seen the temperature guage rise above 50%

Hope you get it sorted and welcome to the forum!

:D
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Perhaps the thermostat is losing it's functionality a bit - or the fan doesn't come on as soon as it should. Can this be checked? There must be some sort of threshold as to when the fan comes on.
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Ditto...

I've not had my car long but I've certainly put it through it's paces and I've not seen it rise more that halfway too...

You really need to take it back to the dealer...or even better to another dealer for a second opinion...(the first may not be as thorough as you think!) it does say it will rise in the manual especially when driving it hard but it should never light up...which indicates there must be something wrong...

Let us know how you get on...
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

right what color is your coolant?
when was the system last flushed?
does the fan come on at just over half
and ive never had my temp abouve 90 degrees ever when spending long periouds of time at above 4 grand in second even though i have a boser that blocks some of the grill
Mike_T
Getting There!

Post by Mike_T »

Has anyone tried looking for what fuse operates the fan!

The fan has stopped working on my Gti so I thought I'd check the fuse...and there are about 5 or 6 fuses that come under the heading "Engine Electrics" no where in the manual does it explain what fuse relates to what part of the engine!

All my fuses look fine anyway so I guess I'm looking at a replacement fan motor or some dodgy wiring.
Ams
New

Post by Ams »

hi guys.

I got my car sorted. The problem was that the fan was playing up. So after changing the fan everything was fine!