Electric Window Fault a Possible Solution

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
dnamlot
New

Electric Window Fault a Possible Solution

Post by dnamlot »

Hi, I have been trying to fix a problem with a drivers side electric window. I followed the Haynes manual to the letter of the law and diagnosed a failed motor. I bought a replacement motor which did nothing to solve the problem. I went back a step and dignosed a faulty relay again, no fix to the problem. Finally perplexed I got down to the challenge of testing individual sections of wire. I found the problem! One of the power cables had become severed in the harness running from the car body to the door. Not only was this cable severed but a number of others were showing signs of failing I suppose caused by the repeated flexing of the cables when the door opens and closes. I guess that the reason I kept having intermittent power to the door was the fact that every once in a while the two ends would touch.

I offer my experience as somewhere else to check if you are not receiving power to the window and so that you do not make the same mistakes I did. Incidentally if anyone needs a genuine electric motor/ regulator Part Number 6N4 959801 or a Brand new Electric Window Motor Relay Part number 8DO 951 253 A, both are for sale on the For sale board and on ebay. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further details or pictures.