squeek

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

squeek

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

ok, my car has started squeeking alot when i drive, it goes when i brake and stuff, so its been driving me mad so i took my car to my local garage which is usually really great, but they said its because my rear brake shoes are seizing up, so they need replacing, he also said the handbrake cable might need to be replaced, and to do that will cost ~£120 including labor! so im thinking its a bit of bull. and another thing i swear the squeeking si coming from the front, and correct me if im wrong but im sure polos 6n's only have brakes at the front. i dunno, any who any opinions/advice would be apreciated! cheers
luke
Getting There!

Post by luke »

heya same problem here, its the rear drums but my bearing is also playing up and it sounds as if its coming from the front of the car i know i've had many arguements with passengers because you are basically in the middle of the car and cant figure out where the squeek is and it sounds like its in a different place for u compared to your passengers. 120 dont seem bad although it is a job you can do yourself... but id rather get a garage to do it and know its done correctly. (more chance of me messing it up than them) let me know how u get on mine is booked in for next week. expensive little polo!!
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

if the rear brake shoes are ceasing up all you have to do is take them apart and give them a good clean up and lubricate them, f**k paying all that and replacing them!
polo boi
Gold Member

Post by polo boi »

yea just take the drum off an clean the brake dust off it, dst breathe in that s**t tho coz its rotten an aint good 4 ya, its prob squeakin coz wen u take off ur hand brake the shoes r still stickin 2 the drum an wen u drive they sqeak until it worn away enuf 2 stop squeakin but then u will go through shoes like knickers, lol, an the handbrake cable may ur problem aswell, i know i need mine done anyway, mine sticks aswell but dosnt squeak. but thats the least of my worries at the moment :oops:
Mk4Mexican
Bronze Member

Post by Mk4Mexican »

yeah, same here, i've got that squeak, its driving me crazy, it's not too loud and when you go faster you it stops (or maybe just cant hear it) i got told at the garage, that it was my break pads and that i could replace them to stop the noise, or see it out cus the pads r still ok! so i'm just seein it out i think, unles it gets worse.
large
Getting There!

Post by large »

my lump makes a noise but its not like the normal belt slipping skreech like when its a bit damp, anyone else get this?
large
Getting There!

Post by large »

my lump makes a noise but its not like the normal belt slipping skreech like when its a bit damp, anyone else get this?
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

well i drove to cardiff and back today, couple of hundred miles ish, and its stopped, prolly coz its worn down, still brakes when i stop though. mite get my grease monkey mate of mine to have a look