Remaps and insurance

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
dino
Sponsor

Remaps and insurance

Post by dino »

What did you tell your insurance company after your remap without them whacking your insurance up?

I mean how did you word it...etc?
damci
Bronze Member

Post by damci »

Mine went up £87 and I'm with Prudential. I wasn't going to tell them at first cos it's not something an insurance inspector would notice if the worse happened but I decided it's not worth the risk.

I told them it has been remapped and they asked for the company name who did it and that was it. They classed it has an 'engine chip' :lol:
YOGi
Getting There!

Post by YOGi »

Yeah its not a big deal.

Were not talking mega figures from a map.

Let us know when youve done it! ;)
Wardy
Sponsor

Post by Wardy »

They tend to be more bothered about the % increase of power than anything else, after the remap. If it's less than 25% with most companies, you should be OK and not get hit with a big increase.

Think mine on the Fabia went down as 'Engine Management enhancement' or something daft, as the girl on the other end of the phone couldn't decide what category to put it in! As it wasn't strictly a chip upgrade, as all adjustments to boost and fuelling were done via the diagnostics port.

Steve
M7
Gold Member

Post by M7 »

in theory you're only making the engine run to its potential. vw under power some cars to suit economy rather than perforance, so you're only making the most of the car you have.

perfect example is the mk4 1.8t. 150, but the anni is slightly better mapped to 180 and fully it goes to near 200.

but sorry to go off topic, i am unsure about insurance though. i have heard alot of people dont tell the insurance about this mod. i personally would tell them, i dont want them to have a reason to void the insurance.
but is there any way of checking if its mapped say if the car was wrote off?
damci
Bronze Member

Post by damci »

M7 wrote:but is there any way of checking if its mapped say if the car was wrote off?
No. Unless they plug it into a diagnostics machine which may detect it but I very very much doubt they would go to the effort tbh.
Wardy
Sponsor

Post by Wardy »

M7 wrote:in theory you're only making the engine run to its potential. vw under power some cars to suit economy rather than perforance, so you're only making the most of the car you have.
Often you'll find economy actually increasing, as you don't have to push the car as hard. The difficult thing is not going everywhere at Mach speed, because you can :P

If you're on a motorway cruise, or just driving normally though, MPG can actually be better.

Steve
xx_loopy_xx
Silver Member

Post by xx_loopy_xx »

It's true that VW underpower there cars.
Especially the 1.8T because you can either get it standard from VW in a Golf or whatever with 150 or standard in a Leon with 180,

It's cos most VW owners don't want something that's really fast, they want MPG, as M7 said...

You could get a switchable remap, then you could turn it off whenever and it's like it's never been there.
Most people I know haven't even told their insurance companys.
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Dont get me wrong - im not considering not telling my insurance company....i'm not that stupid