clutch issues (SURPRISE SURPRISE)!!!!!!!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Ams
New

clutch issues (SURPRISE SURPRISE)!!!!!!!

Post by Ams »

On my polo GTI, the clutch seemed to slowly wear out, as the pedal had a lot of "play", stiffened and it was squeaking!!! (after only 27 000 miles :x ). After taking it to a garage, the cable was replaced, and the play got sorted (so far, so good). After a few hours of driving, the clutch started slowly getting stiffer again AND it started squeaking (however, the "play" had gone). Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did u solve it? Its really irritating and makes long drives hard.

This problem is really starting to annoy me and am thinking of replacing the car with a BMW 318is or VW golf (tdi or similar). However, after this problem, i might forget VWs. Seeing as all newish VWs have a sticky gearbox.
marc
New

Post by marc »

I had the same problem on my car even down to the annoying squeek when the pedal is pressed. It turned out to be the pressure plate on the clutch mechanism wasn't releasing properly which made the pedal very stiff to operate. This had a knock on effect of breaking the dreaded pedal box. luckily the work was carried out under warranty so the pocket wasn't to badly damaged except for the new friction plate I had fiited at the same time seeing as the clutch was apart. This happen to me at about 30k and if this is the same problem then we're not alone quite a few guys on this web site have their pedal box replaced too.
blackgti
Bronze Member

Post by blackgti »

Hey there AMS

Marc is right look here for details http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... php?t=2146

Hope it helps
Ams
New

Post by Ams »

cheers guys! But once it sorted, does this problem EVER occur again! So shall i still keep the GTI? So to be clear, shall i tell the garage that the pressure plate & pedal box need to be replaced?

Thanks guys! Appreciate it!
blackgti
Bronze Member

Post by blackgti »

Its worth asking them to check them for you, but don't make them tell you your wrong as you have seen the evidence here and Josh was gathering data to go back to VW them selfs.

The problem shouldn't happen again, as they use new parts which was made later and don't have the same fault as the original batch did.