Limo Tint... Legal??

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

I thought perhaps it related to amount of light that is blocked as standard on that glass. I feel clever now, I noticed something that some people hadn't. :D Don't worry I'l do something stupid soon to even it out.
RR Livi
Bronze Member

Post by RR Livi »

here is what i got in a leaflet when i got pulled

What is excessivly tinted glass?

Road vehicles (Constuction & use) Regulations 1986 as amended specify the minimum levels of lights that must pass through the windscreen and front and side windows. the limits are:

motor Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985

The windscreen and front windows must allow at least 70% of light to be trasnmitted through them

Motor Vehicles first used on/or after 1 April 1985

The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
The front side windows must allowat least 70% of the light to be trasnmitted through them

*If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, then the vehicle does not meet legal requirements*

Which windows in the vehicle does this apply to?

The windscreen and the front side windows to either side of the driver's head

How does excessively tinted glass affect road safety?

It resricts the drivers vision, especially in dark conditions. This may prevent drivers from seeing other road users or pedestrians. It also prevents pther road users and pedrestrians from comfirming through eye contact that they have been seen.

What is the purpose of the law?

The purpose of the law is to ensure the driver's ability to see the road is not excessively restricted by glass tint.

Legally where do i stand?

If you are the driver, you must not drive a vehicle on the road with the windscreen or front side windows excessively tinted. You may also invalidate your insurance with this modification, particulary as the vehicle is likely to be illigal.

If you are a tinting company:

You must not modify or offer to supply a part that when fitted to a vehicle means that it does not comply with Construction & use regulations.

If your selling a vehicle with extra tinting applied to the windscreen or front windows:

The Vehicle may now have glass that is darker than permitted by Construction & Use regulations, in which case the vehicle must not be sold!

Why are tinted windows not included in the MOT test?

Excessively tinted glass is seen as a serious issue but one which currently affects only a small number of the 24 million vehicles tested annually. To include this item in the MOT test would require all 18.000 garages to incur expenditure on special test equipment and the time taken to corry out an MOT would increse. The MOT fee would be raised to cover the extra time and investment. This extra cost would effect all Motorists - all for a small number of vehicles, with the current levels of offending, roadside enforcement is a better route as it tagets the offenders while minimising the cost and inconvenience to complaint road users.
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

Post by tupac2makaveli71 »

i got limo on the backs, and i got light smoke on the fronts, lightsmoke is no way enough, so its getting another layer of light smoke, and it should be quite dark, and just a LITTLE bit illegal lol, in the last post it says windscreen has to allow 75% of light though so does that mean we can get 25% tints? :lol: my friend also got limo on the backs and dark smoke on the front, you cant see SH*t through them and he hasnt got pulled yet....and i tinted my numberplate today :) what yall think, i mite rip it off not sure
and a pic to show you guys how my tints are at the moment:
its a special tint i got for teh front windows, forgot its techname, but it reflects all light from angles that are less than 25% if that makes sense, which in effect means that its limo tint from certain angles, but straight on you can see through!
EDIT: as you can see, from the front of my car you cant see the driver or passenger, you can just about see the steering wheel!
willy g
Getting There!

Post by willy g »

I think the number corresponds to the cars year eg 97 has 7 under the tint
and the dots indicate the months , used by police to aid looking for ringers!! Also useful to see if your car has had windows replaced.
mmh
Silver Member

Post by mmh »

willy g wrote:I think the number corresponds to the cars year eg 97 has 7 under the tint
and the dots indicate the months , used by police to aid looking for ringers!! Also useful to see if your car has had windows replaced.
Biddle: is yours a 1999 car? Mine's a T-reg and has an '8'
R1CH
Platinum Member

Post by R1CH »

i got stopped for tints,,,they didnt do anything,,,just made me remove them.Suppose i shouldnt moan really,,i had it coming
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

Post by tupac2makaveli71 »

how dark were they?
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

mmh wrote:
Biddle: is yours a 1999 car? Mine's a T-reg and has an '8'
Yeah it a 1999 on a V plate. So thats what te number stands for. Cheers
R1CH
Platinum Member

Post by R1CH »

tupac2makaveli71 wrote:how dark were they?
very very dark. :? :? :? :lol:
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

rich16v wrote:i got stopped for tints,,,they didnt do anything,,,just made me remove them.Suppose i shouldnt moan really,,i had it coming
I'm guessing you mean just front tints yeah?
R1CH
Platinum Member

Post by R1CH »

thats right,,,,my car currently looks like a little van. Im gonna take them all out and just have them done really light.