Central locking pump hiss.

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
marcman
New

Central locking pump hiss.

Post by marcman »

Unlocked the car this morning, via the passenger door, and was fannying around putting some new mats in when I noticed a hissing sound. thought I had a puncture happening but then realised it was the central locking pump. The hiss was continuous and only stopped when I started the engine. Im sure this isnt normal - do I have a problem?

I think I had an instance the other day where the passenger door didnt unlock when I unlocked the drivers door but I didnt pay much attention to it as it was only the second time I had driven the car and Im not used to central locking. Also Im not sure if the boot always unlocks correctly via the central locking, again ive really not paid much attention to it.

Anyone else experienced these problems? Ive read on the forum that the pump sometimes gets wet from leaks in it's vicinity. I havent had a chance to check yet but will do later today.

Thanks
Marc
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

Post by tupac2makaveli71 »

sounds like a faulty pump, get a new one!
zahir_213
Silver Member

Post by zahir_213 »

wouldnt go off saying its a faulty pump straight away mate, that probably the worst advice you can give, they arnt exactly cheap to replace.

Always best to test it first mate.

Right first thing you need to do is try and listen for where the hiss is coming from exactly. You onbviously have a leak somewhere, more likey one of the tubes or the fuel cap lock(see below)
If you still cant find it, disconnect the pipes from the central locking pump this is in the boot on the drivers side behind the medikit and the polystyrene, and cover up the holes where the pipes where. Now lock and unlock the doors now to see if you can still hear hissing. Then you can check if its the pump or not.

I had the same problem on mine, it turned out to be the fuel cap lock mechanism thing(you know the pin thing that locks your fuel cap?), the rubber seal had split on it causing the leak. I blocked off the pipe to the main locking unit and it soon stopped hissing. A new fuel cap lock mechanism was 25 quid from VW.
marcman
New

Post by marcman »

Thanks for the reply zahir_213. The problem hasnt reocurred since the first instance but if and when it does, I will take your advice on testing it.
Marc