Fuel filler flap

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Mint
Bronze Member

Fuel filler flap

Post by Mint »

Hey folks.

I recently took my car in for bodywork repairs (rusty rear wheel arches :evil:) and as i went to fill the tank when i got it back, i tried to open the fuel filler flap, but it was jammed so i used more force and it panged open and shot out a thin peice of metal which is shaped like an S. Now the flap just... 'flaps' (sorry for the pun :D) around while driving, im guessing that that peice of metal was a spring to hold the flap closed. Now theres been a few occasions where ive nearly took the whole thing off while reversing, as it stays open permanently when i reverse and slams shut again when i go forward. Its a bit of a pointless thread but its one of those niggling things which need sorting. I just cant seem to find where that metal peice goes its a mystery! Anyone had this problem or got any possible solution? By the way i still have that peice of metal.

Cheers :D
ximon
New

Post by ximon »

thought it would be in the haynes but i checked, not a clue, soz. how much was it to sort rusty arches as mine are bad and in need of repair before the winter sets in :s.
Mint
Bronze Member

Post by Mint »

Yeah, I've checked the Haynes too. Looks like its a problem which cant be fixed really. Im not sure on how much it is to get the arches alone done, as i had a new front panel replaced, resprayed and fitted, some other rusty spots sorted and other bits and bobs. It was also my dads mate so overall it was £250. Sorry i can't giva ya a figure for the arches alone but thanks for the reply. :)