stalls when first start :(

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
julian
New

stalls when first start :(

Post by julian »

just had my head gasket changed and head skimmed, all under warranty, to try and stop overheating problems, the theory was that there was a crack in the gasket and when enough water leaked not enough to cool engine was left.

anyway, since i got it back it stalls when i start it up if it has been left for more than about 7 hours. it never had any hint of this before the gasket was changed. what happens is that it turns on, revs go up and then just fall straight down again, even if i give it some gas on the first 2 or 3 attempts it doesn't rev properly.

any ideas? i was reading about the throttle body problem people have written about but they seem to say it over revs. after i have it ticking over, by giving it lots of revs when starting it up it idles at about 900 revs which it did before the gasket change, although it never stalled before it!

what have they done?
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Immobiliser issues?
julian
New

Post by julian »

wouldn't that just make it never start? i was hoping it was to do with the changing of the head gasket. i'll try the other key and see if that makes a difference.

thanks
Phil6N
Bronze Member

Post by Phil6N »

Sounds like the immobiliser problem to me to dude!
KITT
Getting There!

Post by KITT »

Don't think it's anything to do with the alarm/immobiliser.

Could be a few things. Throttle body alignment could be one of them, although I'm not entirely certain how you sort this one other than remove it, clean it and stick it back on. Could be as simple as adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body itself to give it a fraction more air/fuel at idle to stop it cutting out. Depending on how much stuff they removed when they changed the head gasket, it could be an air leak somewhere or an engine sensor went south not allowing the car to sense it's cold and needs to put more fuel in.
gina
Getting There!

Post by gina »

Does it ever stay started?????

If not it could well be something to do with the immobiliser (same prob with my polo). It would start then cut out, due to me using an aftermarket key which did not contain the chip in it the car recognises.

so perhaps something to do with key or immobiliser etc....?

If yours does start though, there is obviously something else going on....

good luck
julian
New

Post by julian »

yeah it starts most times, just not the first 2 or 3 times when i try.

today though it started fine first time so i don't know what's going on, will see what happens in the next few days.

thanks for the replies.