1.4TDI or 1.9TDI?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
emzino
Getting There!

1.4TDI or 1.9TDI?

Post by emzino »

Hi there. As my 1st proper post just wanted to say hello before beginning my question. Feels really nice here and i've already gone through 5pages of the 9n section hehe. Interesting read most definitely but think it'll take time to build my 9n knowledge base so please do bare with me :D

Ok, due to my high insurance quotes with my claim and 3points (not speeding :) ), my original plan of getting an A3 went out the window. I was going to get a 6n2 but I know that they have a horrible habbit of gearbox's dieing and also the fact that it's still really a 6n underneath.

The 9n was the obvious choice to go for next (didn't think I was going to buy a Corsa or Clio did you :lol:)
Well last week I was about to purchase a 1.2s 65bhp 9n but then thought about how long I will have this car for. I knew it'd be roughly a year or just over in which case i'd like it to be much punchier.
I was advised to go for the 1.4TDI Sport, which I can get in about a month or two but is it worth saving even more for the 1.9TDI?

I'm not sure anymore if the 1.4TDI Sport will be adequate enough for me but is the 1.9TDI any different?
What kind of advantages & disadvantages will it have over the 1.4 unit?
Will the 1.9 serve me better in the longrun?

Sorry for just such a long post but if you've read this far then I do thank you for your time. Any input will be much appreciated :)
Spammy
New

Post by Spammy »

Servicing on the 1.9 is expensive, but then again im sure it is on the 1.4 too. I also found that the 1.9 doesn't handle as desirably as it should, where as those with lighter engines handle better.

** Prepares to get shot **
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Welcome to the forum 8)

The only differences will be the power which can be sorted with a remap.

Fuel economy will be slightly better on the 1.9 but i still return a nice 45mpg on my 1.4 and i drive it hard everywhere.

I doubt there will be much difference on insurance on the two tbh.
Diesel_Rally
New

Post by Diesel_Rally »

Remember the 1.4 tdi is a 3-pot, so whilst i find it nippy enough, the noise is a bit of a let down :D .

I've never driven a 1.9, but if you're after a bit of oomph, the Polo GT has the same 1.9 tdi as the Fabia Vrs, 130bhp i beleive, insurance could definitely be an issue though!
emzino
Getting There!

Post by emzino »

Spammy: I could live with the expensive servicing aslong as i'd be getting my moneys worth. As for the handling, is the 1.9 lump that heavy up front for the handling to worst off?
Spammy wrote:** Prepares to get shot **
I'm assuming there is alot of defensive passion for the 1.9 here? :lol:

dino: Thank you for the welcome, I heard about you in Club Polo :). Yea I had the remap in mind most definitely! Don't think I could live with just 75bhp heh. If I got the 1.4TDI and remapped it to 100bhp and just for comparisons sake I went up against a 1.4 16v 100bhp Petrol engine, how would I fair up against it?

Diesel_Rally: Can an exhaust system (nothing chavvy) sort out the noise or maybe some subtle engine modifications?
Oh yes i'd love the 130break GT but haven't got the money for that i'm afraid :?

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated :D

Btw, loving the pictures in the Photo Gallery! 8)
jmv
Bronze Member

Post by jmv »

i find the 1.4 to be very front heavy personally. so i would expect the 1.9 to be worse.

i have a remap on my polo and i would say it would be faster than a 1.4 petrol 9n. i found that it is quicker than cars like Zetec-s's, mg zr 1.4's.

as for noise i have a neuspeed induction kit and a cat back exhaust. on tick over and up to 1800rpm it does sound like a van running lump.
but past that i think it sounds really nice (sort of like a bigger engined audi/vw).

if you were going for a 1.9 100bhp i would definately have the 1.4tdi. if you have a 1.9 130bhp in mind then it would be best to save for that.
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

emzino wrote:dino: Thank you for the welcome, I heard about you in Club Polo :). Yea I had the remap in mind most definitely! Don't think I could live with just 75bhp heh. If I got the 1.4TDI and remapped it to 100bhp and just for comparisons sake I went up against a 1.4 16v 100bhp Petrol engine, how would I fair up against it?
Not too sure how it would fair up against the petrol engine but i'd say it could either beat it or definatley stick with it. My friends 1.9 Polo matched (if not pushed ahead) of our friends Fiesta ST.

Worried about what you've heard about me on club polo lol :P
Diesel_Rally
New

Post by Diesel_Rally »

So how much do these engine remaps set u back? I've never looked into it assuming they were the wrong side of £500 (i'm a skint student).
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Prices vary but don't usually go over £500.
emzino
Getting There!

Post by emzino »

Don't really mind the weight up front, I can handle the car. It's just that I don't want to over stretch the 1.4TDI to it's limits.
I was hoping to get upto the same pace as something like a VTR or VTS. Maybe that's asking too much from the 1.4TDI lump?

I'm not so much after speed because I love the interior of the car. I find it looking so modern and clean I get really excited just thinking about owning one! (not excited in that way :lol: )

Well Dino I would love the 1.9, think i'd be able to get more out of it regardless of the extra weight. Just got to see if i'll have the money. Doubt it but the right place at the right time might mean i'll find out :D

Oh and as for what was said about you on ClubPolo :twisted: lol just kidding. Check here and you'll see http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.p ... 8583&st=25
TimGti
Silver Member
Drives: 9n3 1.9 Tdi Sport

Post by TimGti »

I bought a 53 plate 1.9TDI sport back in the summer, coming from a 1.8T golf it was massively economical.

I do 350 miles a week, on motorways 80mph average, and a lot of country roads, driving normally. The readout is showing 55mpg average since I bought the car 5000ish miles ago.

Can get it to around 63mpg if im really 'grannying' it on a journey.

Quite literally costing me half as much to run as the 1.8T.

Its not too slow either. Although compared to what I was used to seriously lacks the rev range of the petrol equivalents, and does run out of steam a bit in each gear quite quickly!

Quite happy with mine, especially with my heated seats now the winters here :-)
emzino
Getting There!

Post by emzino »

I was actually considering a 1.8T A3 but that was before I remembered about my insurance situation hehe. Lovely cars though!

TimGti, do you think a good remap would make sure it has no loss of power throughout each gear? I know the remaps always being mentioned but it's just second nature to do it with a TDI :D

When I finally get the money for a 1.4TDI, i'll then decide whether I can wait any longer and save more for a 1.9TDI.
Think i'd be happy with the 1.4 unit though.

Only thing bothering me is the Xenons. I really want them not just because of looks but also the advantage of sight! 8)

Thing is, when I read through some posts, apparently the headlight can get condensation because you need to drill a hole in a cap or something? (correct me if i'm wrong). I'd hate that to happen :roll:
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

You do have to cut a hole in the weather cap behind the bulb but if it's done accurately enough then the seal around the rubber bit on the wires you put through the hole should seal it up nicely. I've had mine fitted for about a year and not had one problem (touch wood).

They are awesome and the best mod I've ever done!
emzino
Getting There!

Post by emzino »

That's it, the weather cap. Ok Dino I got it and glad yours hasn't condensated! How would you get rid of it anyway whats it's condensated, is it very hard?

Ok well I haven't got my 9n just yet and i'll probably make another top on it when I do get it lol but I don't have a clue about installing such mods and i'd want to do it before getting the Votex kit.

Who could I turn to, to get it done?
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Well SiDaBa installed my xenon's and my Votex was fitted by VW before i brought the car - canny help sorry