one thing after another...

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
way_z
Silver Member
Drives: 6n2 1.4 TDI

one thing after another...

Post by way_z »

im having serious problems starting my car from cold and its getting worse as winter approaches! it struggles to start, coughing and spluttering when i turn the key and only when i pump the gasa few times it fires up?! the problem started off a few weeks ago in the mornings, now it does it in afternoons aswell! I took the battery out last weekend and gave it a full charge which seemed to solve it, still i suspected a faulty sensor maybe (ie. fuel temp sensor, lambda sensor)? took it to the garage for a diagnostics, it only found the speedo sensors on rear axle to be faulty which i've read here is the cause of my ABS light coming on occaisionally?! :? come the weekend the starting problems are here again and im thinking it can't be the battery again can it? i never had problems starting in previous freezing winters, its not even that cold yet and this is happening! has my battery gone dud or is it something else? help anyone!
Last edited by way_z on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

hey. just read this on another thread - similar to your problem:

Just got my polo there 3 weeks ago and already having problems. When cold shes deadly to start up. When shes warmish shes 100%. Anyone have any ideas? Was thinkin it could be the temp someone mentioned above?

and in reply:

ye chap usually the temp sensor, take into account coils to.

and in reply to that:

Got her sorted m8.....it was the sensor indeed

My polo isnt the best at starting on a cold day - it does splutter a little but it starts pretty quick. Once the engine is warm, it starts really quick. Have you checked the sparks and all that?

Alex
way_z
Silver Member

Post by way_z »

yea mine is like that too, reluctant to start at first then after that, almost immediately starting it again, its fine! i knew i'd seen it in the forum somewhere it was a temp sensor problem, thanks for that alex, much appreciated! I'll go ahead and change even if it didn't show in diagnostics.. urm any1 have any ideas exactly what sensor and where its located? if its simple to fix i'll do it otherwise the cars going into the garage on tuesday and ask them to sort it out.. by the way, is it me or has anyone else noticed having rear passengers causes the ABS light to come on?? i recall someone here saying it was a connection or something under the rear seat??
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Fair play. Not a clue where it is located - a garage job i would think to be honest. As for the rear passengers, ive witnessed that problem before - its something to do with more weight on the suspension coils which puts more pressure on the brakes (or something!). It was a fair while back so i cant remember the exact details, but yes there is a connection somewhere around the rear seats - i just cant remember where!

Alex
way_z
Silver Member

Post by way_z »

i just went out, popped my bonnet and had a look at my engine bay without a clue what i was doing what i was looking for :? so i gave my mate a vw apprentice mechanic a call and asked what fuel temp sensor normally looks like, said its a small plastic cylinder located to the right of the engine towards the front about an inch down with wire coming out of it.. i think i found it so here's a pic, can anyone confirm this is it??

while i was at it, thought i'd inspect my engine bay further and noticed towards the bottom it was wet?? i couldn't reach the bottom to see what the liquid was so i looked for a leak... nothing at first but then with the engine running had a look again and noticed a pipe along side the engine was dripping, put my hand under it and had a sniff, it was diesel!? :shock: at the bit where the pipe connects it was cracked underneath leaking onto a wire at its connection, i don't know what the part is and i couldn't get a good pic but i did manage to read a part no. so im gonna head to VW tomorrow to find out what it is.. funny thing is lately i noticed the smell of diesel coming through the vents and fuel consumption being not as good! looks like an expensive job as its tricky to get to and its leaked everywhere so might need to replace a few things! :( [/img]
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

dude! that sounds nasty. Could well be that causing the starting problems - bad fuel supply or something maybe.

Keep us posted on what the problem was!

Alex
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

alexperkins wrote:hey. just read this on another thread - similar to your problem:

Just got my polo there 3 weeks ago and already having problems. When cold shes deadly to start up. When shes warmish shes 100%. Anyone have any ideas? Was thinkin it could be the temp someone mentioned above?

lol that me a while back ago. Temp sensor fitted and ecu reset cost me £75 from VW. £25 for the part then £50 to get the ecu wiped. They tend to go on these polos quite often :roll:
jonPDpolo
New

Post by jonPDpolo »

Mine had problems last winter, especially when starting in the morning, turned over a few times then started, once didn't start at all, turned all electrics off (fan, radio etc.) and it started....

All that needed doing was new glow plugs, check your service history see if its been done, if not get it done
way_z
Silver Member

Post by way_z »

i had the glow plugs changed in june so im gonna have to rule that out, gonna go with the suggestion fuel might not be reaching the engine.. but thanks anyway jon! read your post about how your eligible for £50 tax.. i can't beleive that, you're so lucky! i'm worried now to think to what extent this fuel leak problem has reached, might it have affected the fuel pump etc?
way_z
Silver Member

Post by way_z »

ok car went into garage to have the speedo sensors replaced and try source the diesel leak... at first the good news was that the leak was just a £6 seal that needed replacing on the diesel vacuum pump! :) it is a straightforward job replacing the seal but then the bad news came that the diesel vacuum part can only be taken apart by VW as it has a million sensors inside, onces it taken apart it needs to be reset which only VW can do! :(

so looks like a trip to a dealership, i've had bad experiences in the past and i'm not looking forward to this.. :? as someone once put it in the forum, they should really be called stealerships for the amount they charge for labour!?
way_z
Silver Member

Post by way_z »

just thought i'd update u guys with whats been happening with my polo...

well the car went in to VW about 2 weeks ago to have the diesel leak sorted out, even tho i told them what was wrong they wanted to charge hours labour to do their own diagnostic, so I let them and guess what.. they said i was right?! :x but then came the bad news... alot of things needed replacing as diesel had gone everywhere even contaminating the coolant system!? tandum diesel pump, coolant distributor, several hoses plus labour... they quoted £605!? :shock: so with no alternative i bit the bullet and gave them the go ahead... to add insult to injury, they kept the car a whole week as they had trouble gettin parts needed, sourcing some from overseas! when i finally went in to pick it up, told them I wasn't entirely happy with the service, so the guy was nice enough to give the car a mini-valet and knock 80 quid off! :)

straight after, i drove from essex all the way home to london noticing much better fuel consumption and better throttle response! :D but less then a mile from home, my brakes started grinding, my front pads had gone!? on the verge of giving up as I was completely broke, with a little help from my sister, bought the parts and replaced the pads and changed the oil!

now finally after so long, drove to essex and back last weekend, the car is driving better than ever! :D the torque has returned on acceleration and after putting about 20 litres diesel in and driving 224 miles so far, the reserve light is yet to come on!!

So i treated the car to a wash yesterday only to find my nearside foglight has smashed!? just as i thought the car was near perfect this had to happen! more money to be spent... :cry: i'm actually thinking of starting a fund or something!!
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

Bloody hell your not havin much luck are you!!! but at least the worst of it is over!!

Things will get better :wink:
samil87
Silver Member

Post by samil87 »

bad luck mate

feel similar at the minute...my problems aint as bad but still seem to be having 1 after another
way_z
Silver Member

Post by way_z »

another problem, my battery went dud over the weekend, 50 quid for a new one.. :cry:
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Cor... hopefully things will start to look up! As abba would sing - money, money money lol :P

Alex