It's time we found some more new mods...

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

I'm sure VW removed the dash light dimmer on some models after the apparant equipment upgrade early 2003.

Des
bertJ
Getting There!

Post by bertJ »

memm
If you have a new Polo the panel light dimmer switch is the left switch joined to the headlamp height switch. Both switches are rotary (up and down) type. This combined switch is about 8 cms to the left of the main lighting switch.
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Good idea bertj - Had thought about this before, but just swtich my lights on whenever I get in the car now. Might think about that....

As for the dimmer switch, memm may not have it - Nelson hasn't.
bertJ
Getting There!

Post by bertJ »

Didn't know that VW had deleted the dimmer switch - yet more penny (euro?) pinching. Our Polo was built in January 2003 and has the dimmer switch. Aren't the panel lights too bright at night without dimming?
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Well it's a strange one... My car was built early 2002 - and has the switch.
Nelson's was built mid 2002 (IIRC) and doesn't have it.
Then yours early 2003, and has. :roll:

What model is your Polo Bert?

TBH, I don't often dim mine. Maybe on unlit stretches of motorways when they are a bit bright. I like to bask in the glow 8) 8)
bertJ
Getting There!

Post by bertJ »

1.4 tdi SE.
I've just looked at VW's web site. There's no mention of panel light dimming or, for that matter, a headlamp height adjustment switch. However, if you look very closely at a lousy photo of the SE's interior I think that you can just make out a dimmer switch. As you said - all very strange.
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Maybe they were fitted to S models and then taken away. (Why I got it but Nelson didn't). But still standard on models above S. (SE). :?: :idea: :wink:

Who cares! :wink:
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

:evil: no i haven't got a dimmer switch either and mines a 1.2 S, and i did find that the dash was a bit bright at first but obviously without a dimmer you do get used to it.
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Feel the power of the blue lights 8)
memm
Getting There!

Post by memm »

I am not so surprised that I don't have the dimmer switch, the car was a very cheap import from Belgium, built autumn 2002, LHD, no dimmer, no boot light, no lights in the doors (those white/red lights) .. some have reflectors instead of the light, I don't even have reflectors... handles mirrors etc. everything in black, nothing colour coded....

But I have to say that I never missed that dimmer, on my 6N I always had it on "full" light...
bertJ
Getting There!

Post by bertJ »

Back to the topic!
If your Polo hasn't got a dimmer switch (I'm almost sorry I started this!) then there has got to be a single wire coming from the light switch to 'feed' the panel lights. It's just a matter of finding it and then cutting it etc!
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

My theory:

The dimmer switch is nt standard on E models and from there its standard on 75bhp 1.4 S models and above. From the information I've gathered thats what I've worked out anyway (!) :)
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Sounds about right...
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

agreed :lol:
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

The dimmer switch is nt standard on E models and from there its standard on 75bhp 1.4 S models and above.
Sorry to drag this back, My 2002 Polo has the dimmer but I had a loan Polo 1.4S Auto :oops: and this car did not have the dimmer.

I guess it's just pot luck with VW these days, like Mole says 'Who cares' we have it :wink:

But hey, this could be a mod for those that don't have it :idea: along with the ingnition control dash lights.

Des