engine starts but stops after 1 second

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
rica1981
New

engine starts but stops after 1 second

Post by rica1981 »

Hi,

Got an intermittent problem with my ‘95 1.3CL:

When starting, the engine starts but will often die after 1 second. Giving it some throttle sometimes seems to help but sometimes the engine just wont keep going.

Called the RAC out twice:

1st time the car started fine by the time they arrived. They said it was probably a temp sensor problem: ie. the ECU thinking its way colder than it is and flooding the engine. He recommended opening the throttle as I start the engine to burn the excess fuel .

This worked for a couple of weeks, but now the problem is worse.

2nd time I called the RAC out they said it was probably an immobiliser problem. I mostly use a non-official key I got made 2 years ago, but even using original key and the problem still occurs. The RAC man thought the immobiliser might have a memory problem and suggested getting VW to re-program the immobiliser to recognise the keys. He also said it might be the amplifier portion of the immobiliser

Anyone go any thought? I’m really worried I’ll take it to VW, get ripped off and get the wrong thing fixed.

cheers
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

Immobilser/fuel pump seems to be the way to go for me. Assuming it's an electric pump on those, can you hear it priming?
rica1981
New

Post by rica1981 »

not sure what a fuel pump priming is suposed to sound like. is it that faint 3 second whir folowed by a click when you turn on the electrics? Just been out to have a listen and as per usual, the fault has disappeared when help is at hand! There seems to be no pattern to it; hot/cold day, hot/cold engine makes no difference, sometimes its fine sometimes its not!
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

That's the noise.
rica1981
New

Post by rica1981 »

I’ve still got the problem and its getting worse!

I’m convinced it’s the immobiliser system as disconnecting the immobiliser produced exactly the same problem. Sometimes moving the steering column magically cures the problem but it doesn’t always work and I’ve tired looking inside the steering column and fuse box area for any loose wires but none to be seen! (just a hornets nest of wires everywhere! The car seems to be at it’s worst when its really hot (ie. around mid day when the sun has made the air in the cabin hot, not when the engine is hot.)

Any one else had a problem like this?

Any idea how much it might cost to get the immobiliser fixed/replaced?

Cheers