Don't you just f*****g hate kerbs!!!!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

yup me too, I get alot of banter over it..the usual being "mate shall i catch a cab to the kerb?"
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

carmadaaron wrote:
adamvfr wrote:My mates laugh at the distance i leave when parking to the kerb, better safe then sorry.
ditto, im at least 30cm away from the kerbs, constantly!
lmao - 30cm is a tad excessive!

Surprised you don't get your wing mirrors knocked off from passing cars!
LiverpoloGTi
Bronze Member

Post by LiverpoloGTi »

Sat in stationary traffic on the way home from work today a Police van a few cars behind me puts on its lights and starts squeezing through the gaps that were opening up in the traffic as the other drivers started to mount the high (square edged) kerbs, thinking that I would damaged my alloys if I mounted the evil kerb I edged to the left as far as I dared and got damn close to the kerb without mounting it or causing any damage to my wheels, the Police wound down their window and told me in no uncertain terms to move out of their way up onto the kerb like all the other cars had done, So what could I do.. I grimaced and took my Polo up the kerb as carefully as I could hearing a horrible grating sound as I did.

The Police passed me drove a few hundred metres down the road to where the junction was, turned off their lights and joined the front of the queue for the right hand filter lane. Well I was outraged its either an emergancy or not! The rest of the journey home I was wondering how bad the damaged would be, I got home checked and have managed to grate about 3cm along the edge of one of my 1 week old rims! :x

Im gutted now, and Id been parking so carefully so as not to cause any damage. :(
GTILass
Sponsor

Post by GTILass »

last time i got a kerb it ate half my exhaust :?

i now have my passenger mirror pointing at the floor so i can see the kerb with my 8s :D :lol:
Last edited by GTILass on Fri May 04, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

LiverpoloGTi wrote:Sat in stationary traffic on the way home from work today a Police van a few cars behind me puts on its lights and starts squeezing through the gaps that were opening up in the traffic as the other drivers started to mount the high (square edged) kerbs, thinking that I would damaged my alloys if I mounted the evil kerb I edged to the left as far as I dared and got damn close to the kerb without mounting it or causing any damage to my wheels, the Police wound down their window and told me in no uncertain terms to move out of their way up onto the kerb like all the other cars had done, So what could I do.. I grimaced and took my Polo up the kerb as carefully as I could hearing a horrible grating sound as I did.
Steer so the wheel goes as close to straight into the kerb as possible, and it shouldn't be a problem. If you edge on, by definition, your wheel rim will touch at the same time as the tyre. My Mk2 is a bit lower than standard, but has no issues climbing a 3 inch kerb when I have to park it on the grass at my folks' place.
LiverpoloGTi wrote: The Police passed me drove a few hundred metres down the road to where the junction was, turned off their lights and joined the front of the queue for the right hand filter lane. Well I was outraged its either an emergancy or not! The rest of the journey home I was wondering how bad the damaged would be, I got home checked and have managed to grate about 3cm along the edge of one of my 1 week old rims! :x
There's a reason for that. At a junction like that with the lights against them and traffic waiting to go the same way as them, They've got a 3 choicees:

- Wrong side of the road it. This is the fastest way, but there's massive potential for a head-on collision as the lights will be sending traffic in their direction. If it's a van, the driver probably isn't a traffic officer, so may well not have the training and skills to risk assess and perform this manoveur.

- Find a way through between 2+ lanes of traffic and go up the nearside of the filter lane (ideal situation, but not always possible, especially in a larger vehicle).

- Wait in line for traffic to clear. If they're going to wait in line, they'll turn off blues and twos so the drivers in front won't feel pressured (possibly panic) into doing something unsafe to help them out. It's by a long way the slowest way, but the safest.
GTILass
Sponsor

Post by GTILass »

omicron wrote:
Steer so the wheel goes as close to straight into the kerb as possible, and it shouldn't be a problem. If you edge on, by definition, your wheel rim will touch at the same time as the tyre. My Mk2 is a bit lower than standard, but has no issues climbing a 3 inch kerb when I have to park it on the grass at my folks' place.
that works if u dont have stretched or low profile tyres :?
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

i hate kerbs! i always park drivers side to the kerb, i would cry if i bashed my RS's!
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

GTILass wrote:last time i got a kerb it ate half my exhaust :?

i now have my passenger mirror pointing at the floor so i can see the kerb with my 8s :D :lol:
:lol: thats exactly what i do! Safe bet! 8)