Boring squareback

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
showmethecheese
New

Boring squareback

Post by showmethecheese »

Hello!! am new to the site.
I have a hk engined squareback but am getting quite bored with it, i have also acquired a stacked 1600 scirocco and am wondering if anyone has tried fitting the 1600 into a mk2 squareback and how feasible it is.
Cheers!!!
serge pot
New

Post by serge pot »

its doable but takes alot of grinding and cutting.not to mention tehe extra weight its getting on the front wheels
showmethecheese
New

cheers for the reply, any idea how much more the 1600 weighs compared to the 1300, i dont mind a bit more weight up front as i used to have trouble with the inside front lifting when cornering hard. also is any of the cutting and grinding structural? on this point i have also considered taking the roof off (which is an obsession of mine) any one know of anyone out-there who has done or tried this? Cheers!!
serge pot
New

Post by serge pot »

wel the front beam must be taken a 4 cm where the pouly comes .the tranny gets in the way when you are steering to the right .
better is a 1.6 from a 6n .if you want to run it properly :
remove the original head ,replace this head with one from a mh engine
the pistons should be shortened with 3,5 mm.
put in a 272 cam and run the succer with 40 dcoe weber carbs on mh ignition .take a 8p gearbox .and you won't have many people who will beat you at the traffic light :o
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

For the amount of money & hassle, you might aswell drop a G40 lump in. Think about it, 113bhp, 0- 60 7secs. you know it makes sense!
serge pot
New

Post by serge pot »

the 1.6 abu or aee engine with the mods i mentioned gives a 150 horsies and has standard a 138nm torque with the mods around a 170 :shock:
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

Yes that has more power. The guy prob won't want to spend 1000's of pounds getting the job done, hacking bits of his car etc. Of course you 'could' fit the Rocco lump but I'm just giving an alternative to how to relieve the boardom of 'showmethecheese' The figures I quoted were for a factory standard G40.

On the other forum www.porka.net there are at least two G's running 180bhp +.

It's a personal choice whether to change engines & which one to change too. I am simply suggesting an alternative. An alternative which is fairly simple for the 'amature enthusiast' who does'nt have access to a full workshop or a limitless amount of cash, but still gives plenty of power which can be uprated at a later date.
Rant over!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the car mate! :wink:
serge pot
New

Post by serge pot »

i didnt ment the golf or rocco engine those are large engines .
the ones i meant are small blocks from polo 6n or golf 3 abu ,aee,aea ,those 3 engines will fit like a glove and can produce without any probs a 150 horsies with the right tuning mods .
mk2matt
Silver Member

Post by mk2matt »

you can get 130bhp out of a HK.
if you put high lift cam in and a lightened flywheel and some other bits, plus the best bit twin 40 DCOE's.
im running twin 40's and boy does she sound the biz 8)
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

serge pot wrote:i didnt ment the golf or rocco engine those are large engines .
the ones i meant are small blocks from polo 6n or golf 3 abu ,aee,aea ,those 3 engines will fit like a glove and can produce without any probs a 150 horsies with the right tuning mods .
Will the G40 PY head fit on an ABU, AEE or AEA block? I know the pitsons would need modifying to lower the compression ratio, and maybe for valve clearance etc. - but is that the only modification required?
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

you can get 130bhp out of a HK.
Sweet Jesus!
showmethecheese
New

wow! ive come over all popular!!
if it is really possible to get 130bhp out of an hk i am interested, but my hk lump is pretty toasted it is using loads of oil, keeps pretending to be out of petrol and losing power, the gearbox is pretty shot as is the front suspension and brakes, it is off the road at the minute, but i have become too attached to the car to get rid of it. i have a yard full of dead motors, a fairly well equipped workshop (oxy acetelene, cutting equip, hoists) and about 48p, if i wanted to build something really fast i would butcher the winnebago(7.5l, 440ci v8), the senator(3.5l straight 6 i) or put my 1980 celica(2l) back on the road, but i just want to put the polo back on the road as cheaply as possible, but i cant justify that much work and no more power. i am interested in the engines that serge pot has mentioned but i dont know vw serial no,s, please could you tell me what car and year i could find these engines in, cars are pretty cheap here if you know where to look. Cheers everyone!
As an afterthought i have a 1.6td passat on the road at the minute and am quite impressed with the engine, is this swop any easier?
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

i've got the 1272 cc breadvan with 285o cam shaft and lightened and balenced flywheel and crankshaft on order along with a ported and polished head to go with the custom inlet manifold and twin 45's 8)

bring on santa pod :twisted:
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

i've got the 1272 cc breadvan with 285o cam shaft and lightened and balenced flywheel and crankshaft on order along with a ported and polished head to go with the custom inlet manifold and twin 45's 8)

bring on santa pod :twisted: