Preventative gearbox failure?????

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
rustypolo
New

Post by rustypolo »

just had my gear box totally re-coned and when asking about oil the gearbox place advised very strongly to use multigrade engine oil as syntho oils and gear box oils are to thin for these boxes mine sounds so smooth its unreal
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

It's the gearbox components that are crap, I think you are throwing good money after bad spending it on fancy oil and additives...
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

garnier wrote:It's the gearbox components that are crap, I think you are throwing good money after bad spending it on fancy oil and additives...
So just wait till it breaks then :roll:
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

That's pretty much it. The box is too weak to handle 125bhp, oil and additives won't really help. It's just a crap design.

If your box goes and you get it properly reconditioned - ie. you get any bit replaced, main diff bearings etc - it should last you a fair number of thousand miles.

I wouldn't recommend buying a 'reconditioned box' - normally these are just boxes that have been painted and sometimes had bits replaced inside. But you don't really know what you're getting and the box could easily go in a few thousand miles. Although you get a warranty with it, you still have to pay someone to swap your gearbox out and in.
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

garnier wrote:That's pretty much it. The box is too weak to handle 125bhp, oil and additives won't really help. It's just a crap design.

If your box goes and you get it properly reconditioned - ie. you get any bit replaced, main diff bearings etc - it should last you a fair number of thousand miles.

I wouldn't recommend buying a 'reconditioned box' - normally these are just boxes that have been painted and sometimes had bits replaced inside. But you don't really know what you're getting and the box could easily go in a few thousand miles. Although you get a warranty with it, you still have to pay someone to swap your gearbox out and in.
Good points there mate

Keeping the gearbox clean and well lubricated can't hurt thou. :wink: