A question about top mounts...

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
retro
Getting There!

A question about top mounts...

Post by retro »

The front top mounts on my car are a feeling a bit sloppy.

I was wondering if it's possible to fit the new top mount's without taking the whole strut off. It looks like there might be enough room, but it depends how much everything moves about when the suspension drops.

So... am I just being wildly optimistic here? I've never had the struts off before and it looks like it'd be a pain getting those ball joints seperated.

If it's going to be a nightmare, I guess I'll have to see how much the garage willl charge to do it, since it's cold outside and it's nearly MOT time.

Cheers.
oliver17491
New

Post by oliver17491 »

hi if you undo the shock top and jack teh car off with the wheel off somehow try to leaver the bottom arm down, i use a leaver bar. if that doesnt work undoo the bottom balljoint and hit where it goes into the hub very hard using a hammer and it should come out it always does the trick.

hope this helps, oli
madmatt

Re: A question about top mounts...

Post by madmatt »

retro wrote:The front top mounts on my car are a feeling a bit sloppy.

I was wondering if it's possible to fit the new top mount's without taking the whole strut off. It looks like there might be enough room, but it depends how much everything moves about when the suspension drops.

So... am I just being wildly optimistic here? I've never had the struts off before and it looks like it'd be a pain getting those ball joints seperated.

If it's going to be a nightmare, I guess I'll have to see how much the garage willl charge to do it, since it's cold outside and it's nearly MOT time.

Cheers.
NO DONT DO THIS
you need to remove leg and to change the top mount u need spring compressers.
where are you based ?? i will charge less than a garage
retro
Getting There!

Top mounts...

Post by retro »

Yeah, I realise I'd need to use spring compressors, but since I don't actually need to take the springs off, I wondered if there was enough room to do it without taking the whole strut off.

Basically, I just don't want to muck round in the cold and wet trying to undo balljoints and driveshafts which are bound to put up a fight.

Thanks for the offer madmatt, but I'm up near Liverpool, so a good 100 miles away from Nottingham.
metz

Post by metz »

Hiya mate, with the top nut off you wont be able to get enough clearance to swap the top mounts over without taking the balljoint,steering arm and drive shaft nut off. its a pain in the backside i know but it has to be done im afraid.

Just be careful not to damage the rubber bits on the balljoints as its easily ripped.

Good luck fella!
madmatt

Post by madmatt »

metz wrote:Just be careful not to damage the rubber bits on the balljoints as its easily ripped.
hes right but with correct tools and knowledge there quite hard to damage.
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Re: Top mounts...

Post by Phoenix »

retro wrote:I'm up near Liverpool
where abouts dude as i'm in warrington.
metz

Post by metz »

:lol:
retro
Getting There!

Update

Post by retro »

Thanks, for all your replies.

Other stuff got in the way and I never got round to looking at the car before its MOT. The good news is that it passed anyway, so it's obviously not too bad. Unless it starts banging and clunking, I'm going to wait until summertime then have a go at doing it myself.