gt collectable

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

yer, i had a look when i washed it, and it dosent seem to be a mahoosive hole, just seems like bad surface rust, mind you, saying that ive had rust like that on my fez and it opens up to be a massive hole! i dont think its antifreeze as its washer bottle level was ok! and the car aint been run for 2 1/2 years so its not as if its been circualting coolant around and pumping it through the hole(if there is one) mite just have rusted, i would go out and have a look tomorrow, but due to working till five, and the early darkness ontop of the s**t wether, theres no point really!
jonboy
Getting There!

Post by jonboy »

sounds like battery tray rot to me. hope its not as bad as mine was

heres my tray on my gt!

heres how it looked before the grinder attacked (cue shonky phone pic!)

big hole (it got a bit bigger too but I didnt get a pic of it)

once the rot was cleaned up, my main man denver set to work with the welder (not pretty but space was limited and I was reluctant to remove the dash even though it would have made fixing it easier. I was left to watch for flames, of which there were pleanty! think I would have prefered to have been doing the welding as the polo footwell isnt the most comfortable place to be!

with it all welded up, I was left with the easy, if messy job of undersealing the tray, the top was ok, but it was a bit of a game to do the underside, could have done with being one of those circus types that squeeze into small boxes!

finally I had to make a new drainage hole as it had previously been welded up by some numpty (i;m fairly sure this was the cause of the tray rotting out for a second time), this was easilly sorted with a big drill bit and a die grinder to enlarge the hole.
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

aye i dont think thats quite as bad as mine! will be having a look in the near futre, also, my front bumper dont stay on, how do you fix it on at the sides?? it well confused and keep findin it on the road as the wind has blown it off! haha, all fun and games!

i read on another thread somewhere on this forum that the gt and g40 rads were different to other ones, i can confirm that all mk3 polos share the same rad, my works comp told me so today lol!

i kno the above was bit random, but every little helps lol!
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

the bumper is held on by about four bolts from what i remember. two in the lower grill bellow the numberplate, and then a couple more which are hidden by the grill! other than that, the sides are only held in place by guides and some small pot rivit type things which hold the bumper to the under arch covers!

as for the rads! good info mate! however, i beleive the difference lies with the fan! i'm most certain that the G40 has a two speed fan whereas the normal polo has a single speed! i'm not sure of the GT though! :wink:
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

hmmm will have to have a look, are those window strip thing easy to replace??
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

i changed a door on my old mk3 and from what i remember, they're attached to the quater window! so never paid attention to how they come apart! i believe to get the quater window out you have to remove the runner which goes deep into the door which would mean taking the interior door card off. believe its just a screw at the top and a bolt at the bottom! Excuse the vaigness, it was a while ago now! :wink:
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

rite found me bit of paper now!

if u doin a service on ya polo:

Lucas reference now :lol:

OIL = CF652

AIR = CF729

FUEL = CF6718

PADS = GDB1219 OR GDB463

DISCS = DF1518

SPARK PLUGS(NGK) BUR6ET

These are whats listed for my 1991 gt polo, so if uve ordered these parts for your car n its different its not my fault!
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

gt's aren't particularly rare, i think your neighbour is getting confused with the G40's.

gt's and g40's both have twin speed fans,but i have also found them on cl's too!

window strips are replaceable,but its quite a fiddly job to do. i have done a couple before,but sometimes its far easier to replace the whole door if you have one sparein the right colour.

Pettsy
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

aye :D i ent saying there rare, im just sayin that the charcoal grey ones are, well from what i know anyway, im not sayin that this is the truth, im just sayin, i like to think im tryin to put a bit of info in the forums to help people out,!!!! hehe :P
retro
Getting There!

Post by retro »

creasegt wrote:i read on another thread somewhere on this forum that the gt and g40 rads were different to other ones, i can confirm that all mk3 polos share the same rad, my works comp told me so today lol!
Well my car thinks differently because when I replaced the radiator the new one was a different size. It did fit in, but used a different set of mounting holes and I had to remove the plastic ducting and re-route the air intake.
neil_dubgt
New

Post by neil_dubgt »

white ones are more rare :P

ouch at that battery rot....glad mines nice n waxoiled....thats a thing, get under it if you can and go mad with waxoil....makes sure things wont rust if there not already rusted! lol
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

just little bit of an update.....i have managed to find a rad bar....so that will be on sometime next week so hopefully....just hopefully....it will be running this time next week!
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

exellent mate, good work! keep us posted if you get her running! :wink:
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

yea will keep the thread updated as i go along, ive just had to fork out for a new steering column for the fez as the u/j joint had gone! dam fezzas! bloody 50quid argh!!!!

hopingfully the bar shud be with me sometime this week as i paid for it on friday! bargain at a tenner posted! im thinkin about new wheel bearings on the front as im pretty sure thats whats seized!
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

arrived home today at 5.30 to see a parcel waiting for me in the porch :D

ripped it open and went outside and fiited it, mounted the rad and then decided that i wanted to start it! :lol:

after a quick 70mph jobby to the local petty station i had a can of fuel!

so i got home n then went to open the petrol cap, couldnt do it so i went and asked my neighbour, one anticlockwise turn later and it had all gone in!

so on with the jumpleads and turned the key..........

wa...wa.....wa.....cough...wa...wa...wa....vroom! 8) :D :o
the bastid started, idled perfect aswell!

only thing is the alternator is siezed solid so it ent charging and its munchin the belt!

on closer inspection it seems like the original alt, so to be fair, considerin the circumstances...it hasnt dun to bad, will be taking it off tomorrow and taking it to work to see if we can do anything with it!

sorry about the essay :lol: but i just like to keep evry1 informed!!

let me know wat u think!