Changing Brake Pads

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
retro
Getting There!

Post by retro »

The Polo numbering conventions are a bit complicated, but being P reg would make your car a mark 4.

Changing pads should be pretty straightforward. Discs are generally a bit easier than drums, but either should be easy enough. If it's not obvious how to do it, then a Haynes manual will take you through it step by step, and they're always worth having.
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

Moved to mk4 section!

might be worth checking the condition of your discs if the pads have started grinding! :?
dragon_green
Gold Member

Post by dragon_green »

Grinding noise is usually an indicator to tll you the pads need changing. They have more metallic content at the end of the pad. Provided you change them out quickly, you shouldn't damage the disc - in any case the discs are fairly cheap for these cars.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Its very easy to change. You just need to remove the wheel, then undo the two allen key caliper bolts both top and bottom on the engine side of the caliper. Then the caliper pulls out from the top, and lifts out at the same time from the bottom.

The pads then click out of place. To install the new pads, you need to push the piston back into the caliper. This can be done with a firm pair of thumbs, or a G clap with a block of wood into the caliper. On installing the new pads, the one with the larger surface goes closest to the wheel side, smaller surface on the engine side. You then refit in the reverse of the removal, and pump the brake pedal a few times to restore brake operation :)
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

You have a excelent DIY guide at the DIY section of the forum. 16v brakes and pads. But it's the same procedure for all polos (all that changes are the discs size)

I did mine, along with the discs and calipers. Not that hard

Pedro
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

ar its a pice of p*** mate!

i did mine myself. an im a noob :) tuck me 20 mins each wheel.

once youve jacked your car up and taken the wheels off its pretty straight forwards. cant remember an exact proceedure, but heres a tip or 2:

-take the cap off the brake fluid under the bonnit to release pressure.

-theres a little srew at the back of the caliper. its hard to find and it needs to be removed :) there the only hard parts mate. exept once youv fitted your new badds. youll need to put a bar in them and press them appart. i jus used a socket set lol and twisted it to open the padds out ;)

tell ya what. im going to buy some of them "stuff" padds soon. they sound better than the EBC ones i have now. soo, ill put you up some picks and so on then :) in about 2 weeks. ... if you can wait that long..