How to increase BHP?

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
polo-sib
Gold Member

How to increase BHP?

Post by polo-sib »

I need to add some power onto my MK4 Polo 1.0i

I don't know alot about cars so what are the best ways of squeezing and getting more BHP out of a car and any reccomendations?
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

well for starters get an induction kit and maybe stretch to a full cat back exhaust system after those additions, on a 1.0 you are looking at about 4-6hp hike....
not alot but its about all your gonna get out of the baby 1 litre engine unless you have an engine transplant!

Ben
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Can anything else be done to the engine to boost the power or the ECU or am I to limited due to 1.0 Engine?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

you could get a new manifold/exhaust, and maybe even a chip/remap (dunno if they do the latter on a 1.0?), but you are Extremely limited, best bet it to save for a faster car!
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Thanks for the advice, I was reading some threads and thought what about turbo, I know small engines dont have it, but i know the 1.2L fox/lupo does, so maybe that could be fitted on.

Do you think it would be possible to fit turbo on and what difficulties could be experienced once on?
david burton

Post by david burton »

from what I've heard the best thing to do is make the car lighter! you might also be able to get different cams / inlet manifold but I'm not sure which ones are compatible.

I say just make the most out of the 50mpg!
polopowah

Post by polopowah »

yeah get rid of the rear seats....who needs friends anyway!

-Ben-
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

polopowah wrote:yeah get rid of the rear seats....who needs friends anyway!

-Ben-
lol i would if i could, but it'd look funny as i got the 5dr model :(
b-random
Bronze Member

Post by b-random »

induction kits are crap. just a gimick IMO. No way as efficient at filtering air than the standard ones, and their too much of a max power item i think
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

b-random wrote:induction kits are crap. just a gimick IMO. No way as efficient at filtering air than the standard ones, and their too much of a max power item i think
Yeah ok then!!!!

Air filters if installed properly can make a difference, maybe not on a 1 litre - but certainly on higher power cars, the allow air flow to flow better and colder if done correctly. along with a decent exhaust system!!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

b-random wrote:induction kits are crap. just a gimick IMO. No way as efficient at filtering air than the standard ones, and their too much of a max power item i think
Yeh that's a very loose statement. If you know what your buying and know how to set it up correctly they can be highly effective
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Ian_R wrote: Air filters if installed properly can make a difference, maybe not on a 1 litre
It made a big difference to mine. It pulls so much better past 3500 revs and idles smoother for sure.

They certainly arent a gimmick. As Ian says, bigger the engine, the better the gain. But on any engine, providing you get the cold air feed correct and filter placement, it makes a huge difference.
polopowah

Post by polopowah »

same with mine, got a new one a few months ago, and replaced my full-system and it flies now, just sorted the wheel bearing aswell which was causing problems!
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Just changed my cold air feed system from stock to my version works like a charm just need a new filter now :) and there is a power and smoothness increase, so can't say it is max power bulls**t.
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

That post was utter crap lol,

Course there not a gimmik, Obviosly doesnt no wot hes on about! installed correctly any cold air feed helps as the engine thrives on cold air and the more the engine receives the more responsive it is even a little helps!