3 Points & £60 fine rant

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

3 Points & £60 fine rant

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Bloody pissed off. Last month in Edinburgh we were driving home after a concert back home to Aberdeen. After carting mates around into the city centre (I've never driven to Edinburgh before) I was getting tired and just wanted to get home. We got onto the outskirts as the sat nav directed us into a quiet residential area.

We came up to some dodgy junctions. My mates were telling me to go straight whereas the sat nav was saying right. Up ahead there were traffic lights and I noticed they just turned amber, so I sped up a little from 20 mph (still within the 30 mph limit). I ended up following the sat nav as I had to make a quick decision. Unfortunately my mate informed me that I had run the red light.

Got a letter in a week later saying what I had done etc etc and to fill out my details. Second letter said they had video evidence and they want to charge me £60 and put 3 points on my licence and I can't argue against it. It is total and utter s**t.

Now I am not denying the fact I just ran the light (turned out it was only 1.3 seconds) and I'm aware of the concequences (if this was a busy road then someone may get knocked down and seriously injured) but I think it is totally unjustified. A £30 fine tops would be more appropriate. I have never ran a red light in my life and never will (this definately wasn't intentional). Fair enough I was distracted by the sat nav and my mates, but then show me a driver who has never been distracted in their lives for 5 seconds when driving? The incident happened at 11.40pm, in a quiet area with no one going around. The fact they could of saw my address and realised I didn't even live near Edinburgh could of made the fine lower. It was a total one off fluke incident and the level of punishment is unjustified imo. Even if there were people around, in most cases, 30mph or under isn't enough to be fatal. If it were 40mph then yes maybe.

Yet 2 weeks ago, in Aberdeen, we are sitting at a red light in my mates car which has been red for 5 seconds. A car comes up behind then pulls round to the right of us, runs the light, then goes through the next red light up ahead. And this is Market Street in early evening in Aberdeen, where there is 100x more potential of someone being injured. Yet he will get away with it. Really boils my p***! :evil: And to fine me at this time of year. Bah f*****g humbug!
1der
Gold Member

Post by 1der »

bad one bud

Just before xmas to :(
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

if its someone where u didnt know and used a sat nav u could of tried arguing it...... due to the time of night and u havnt been there befor u could have argued and said yea fair enough wat i did was wrong but cant u just have the fine and not the points as u dont really know the area and was trying to concentrate on ur sat nav etc.

my mum did this once, she got a ticket saying she was speeding and she had a fine and points on her licence and she argued it about no signs for speed and she said shes fine to pay the fine but dont want the points and they said ok then so she got away witht he points but still paid the fine.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Ah that sucks mate :(
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

Sorry to hear that mate. I would have pushed the appeal more.

Your going to have to be extra careful now :cry:
luke_poloe
Bronze Member

Post by luke_poloe »

Have you tried having a look on here http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=idx
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

kipper wrote:if its someone where u didnt know and used a sat nav u could of tried arguing it...... due to the time of night and u havnt been there befor u could have argued and said yea fair enough wat i did was wrong but cant u just have the fine and not the points as u dont really know the area and was trying to concentrate on ur sat nav etc.
Sat Nav isn't an excuse, you're in control of the car and the only one that can make the decision. Sat Nav is just a tool too assist. Would you drive off a cliff is she told you it was the only way to get to the bottom?

If you want to dispute it, you may not have much luck (speaking from experience here :wink: )
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

i no how u feel mate. i got 3 points for speeding, basically a 30mph dual carrage way that had no 30 signs at the point i turned on but 40 signs down the road, got flashed doing 34. 3 points, £60......£400 insurance increase !! such a pain, ive never in 2 years has any sort of offence or accident etc and im now branded as a "dangerous high risk driver"
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

luke_poloe wrote:Have you tried having a look on here http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=idx
I've already sent my license off, is it a waste of time?