Gearbox What fits

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
vdub10
Bronze Member

Gearbox What fits

Post by vdub10 »

Hiya
Been having gearbox probolems recently still working but not right great. been told the polo 1.4 8v gearboxes are rubbish break easily. was just woundering what other gear box would fit thats good. like is a polo 1.4 16v gearbox better or are they the same , would it even fit?. looking for a gearbox that is stronger than the one that in it now.

thanks

tom
NOZ
Platinum Member

Re: Gearbox What fits

Post by NOZ »

For me the 8v gearbox never gave me a problem. Conversely, I had the gearbox in my 16v reconditioned twice!!!

They are different as they have different gear ratio's so it's best to stick to an 8v box if that's the car you have. A 16v box in an 8v would make a slow car even slower lol.

I believe 16v boxes were made to be stronger as more power goes through them BUT they were never strong enough! So 16v boxes tend to be more shagged or prone to failure.

It's best to recondition your box with rally bearings, which tend to be the greatest weakness in Polo boxes.
vdub10
Bronze Member

Re: Gearbox What fits

Post by vdub10 »

hmmm right cheers for that dint no that. were about you get yours reconed at?? i looked all over cant seem to find out. its a costly repair ?

cheers

tom