Polo/Lupo GTI Manifold - Are they the same?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Polo/Lupo GTI Manifold - Are they the same?

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I need to know if the Polo GTI & Lupo GTI exhaust manifolds are the same???
I know the Raceland 4-2-1 manifold will fit both cars but that doesnt really help me because the Raceland will fit several different cars.

The reason I want to know is because Kam Racing have now produced a 4-1 manifold for the Lupo GTI which boasts some pretty impressive performance figures, they tested it with a 200 cell sports CAT and it produced a 10bhp again which is awesome. The Raceland doesnt seem to give any real power gains from what I have seen (maybe 1bhp) and thats probably due to it being Cheap and the design (4-2-1).

Check out the link below
http://www.kamracing.co.uk/index.php/vw ... -pipe.html

I wont hide the fact that i'm after more power and with the Polo being fairly limited tuning wise every little helps :)

Any help would be appreciated

Ben,
MrP
Silver Member

Re: Polo/Lupo GTI Manifold - Are they the same?

Post by MrP »

Are you actually considering this?

£670 for a 10BHP increase? Don't get me wrong, it looks really really nice... But fooook me!

But saying that I wouldn't mind knowing the answer as well, I asked KAMracing and I just received a half arsed e-mail saying 'I don't know'.. Good sales tactics there Mr KAMracing...

Expect a PM on my little manifold making expedition... Prototype cars are needed... :D
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Cheers for the PM Dude 8)

I got the same response from Kam Racing "errmm not sure if it fits" and your right £670 is daylight robbery.
However there are alot of manifold manufacturers out there and i'm sure a custom manifold wouldnt be too expensive to get built.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with MrP :)

Ben,
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I dont think it does. I think it mounts differently, and the hangars are in different places for the manifold shield and that
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

alexperkins wrote:I dont think it does. I think it mounts differently, and the hangars are in different places for the manifold shield and that
essentially is it the same size, bore etc? and is it just that it fits slightly differently due to the Lupo having a smaller engine bay???
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

Doubt ul see 10bhp over the raceland only giving 1 bhp lol!

The bore size of the raceland is much bigger than standard and gives a more torque power band than standard manifold.

4 2 1 on a 1.6 16v is fine and being 4 1 on the other brand i doubt ul see more power its about it being more free flowing and my raceland is perfect for the money.

If ya want a new manifold i would get one made as it will fit insted of cowboying around with 670 quid its not worth the risk.

Try these ppl there the best i know howard & scott, or pipecraft

They quated me 700 quid for a manifold back system so be warned...................
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

I think the 10bhp gain is more down to the fact that it will be running a sports Cat or De-cat which is where the bigger gains come from, I imagine the manifold itself running off the standard CAT would give a much smaller gain.

4-1 Manifold, De-Cat & Stainless Free flowing exhaust should easily see a 10bhp gain

£700 is just too much to spend really, although the Raceland is really cheap compared to most manifolds out there.
They normally start from £300+
Kam Racing
Bronze Member

Post by Kam Racing »

I've just found this thread which is disappointing. The reason we do not know if it fits is because we never made it for the Polo. Its was designed only for the Lupo. As we do not fit exhaust systems we have no way of comparing or testing so you got an honest answer.
Most likely it will not fit without modification. It will fit on the head, but its under the engine that could be a problem. Its a lot of money to guess so I dont like to waste customer money making that call. At the same time I dont want a £700 manifold returned scratched and battered from a failed attempt to fit. Its not something I can resell.
As for the cost of the manifold. Its not some cheap crap made in china with no care in how its made, how it performs or how long it will last on the car. We took great care in building a high quality item. Its expensive to make, took lots of money to design and uses lots of material. It runs under half the car as it replaces your cat pipes as well so its not small. Shop around for a proper exhaust manifold by a reputable company or get a quote from someone to make a custom one with rolling road testing and you will be surprised at how much they really cost. To get 10 bhp with a sports cat is very good for a normally aspirated car with such a small engine. We've not yet had anyone complain they did not get value for money and we have a number of race teams very happy with the results they are getting.

Kev
Kam Racing
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Hi Kev its Ben here that emailed you :)

I think if you do ever develop one for the Polo then there would be a few people that would want one.
People may moan about the price but to achieve 10bhp from a manifold is very impressive and beats the raceland manifold hands down on performance. Nobody has developed a manifold specifically for the Polo GTI which is probably why the power gains from the likes of the raceland are so minimal.

Please keep us all updated if one becomes available, would you consider developing one if there was a large demand?

Ben,
Kam Racing
Bronze Member

Post by Kam Racing »

We would certainly look into it if there was enough interest. This would most likely have to be later on in the year when we have more funds for development..
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

There's a guy on club lupo with a supercharged lupo gti and he has had a few manifolds and the one he has is the raceland after moving it over to clear the sump he said it gives the best gains on his engine after rolling roading it, I'd get a custom one made if you worry the raceland won't match your requirements...

421 decat stainless all the way will see big gains, that's what iv got n it rocks lol...