Mapped GTi's on Stock?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Re: Mapped GTi's on Stock?

Post by Polo96CL »

chris meardon wrote:That's it, and an aftermarket recic valve, I had the forge one.

I must say as the comment above that it's a huge shame for the car to be taken back to standard, the car was setup almost perfectly and looked amazing, to bring it back to standard is a sacrilege and a terrible shame.

May I ask why you are looking at buying a car that has been returned to standard from being modified?

In my eyes you buy a standard car for the knowledge that you know everything hasn't been tinkered with or driven to hard in its life. You buy a modified car like this because it's quicker than the rest but you accept that it's probably been driven harder than average in its lifetime, but buying a car that's been modified and then returned to standard to me is illogical. I'd much rather buy a single owner standard car that's been driven like a granny all it's life and then do what you will with it.

Good news about the map.
I can totally understand where you mean here, and have considered a variety of alternative cars for the very reason mentioned. However, I keep returning to the same conclusion. The car has been looked after extremely well, and that during Jeff's ownership and onwards, it was maintained regardless of cost. Not only is the spec of the car (full leather, winter pack, low miles etc) great, but in the knowledge that at some point, a GTi is going to have had a bit of a lead right foot at some point in it's life. Black 3 door GTi's with all of the options I want don't come around that often, i've been looking for some time.

I agree that it is a shame to see a car once at the top of its game returned to basically stock, but in a way, I also see it as a bit of a blessing in disguise, we all know that being slammed and running 240bhp probably isn't what the car was designed to do and that by doing so, a new owner can make the car their own. Saying that, I've got nothing against modding, my last and only two cars have been low on BBS :lol:
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

Thats fair enough mate, It took me about 6 months of waiting for the right GTI for me to pop up, similair to your requirements but white instead :)

Yes it has been maintained well so thats a plus point. If it was me i'd overhall all top mounts, bearings, bushes etc to make sure everything is as it was new. if the suspension is being changed it will have cause uneven wear in the bushes compared to standard so all of that for me would be changed, tracking etc to get back to a truely standard car.

I understand your point that you and everyone else knows the history of the car, and even though its been a colourfull one it may be better than not knowing any of its past.

If you end up buying the car I look forward to see what you plan to do with it.

Truth be told i regret selling my GTI and if i saw jeffs car in its modified state for sale before being broken down then someone would have to hold me back to stop me buying it!
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

chris meardon wrote:Thats fair enough mate, It took me about 6 months of waiting for the right GTI for me to pop up, similair to your requirements but white instead :)

Yes it has been maintained well so thats a plus point. If it was me i'd overhall all top mounts, bearings, bushes etc to make sure everything is as it was new. if the suspension is being changed it will have cause uneven wear in the bushes compared to standard so all of that for me would be changed, tracking etc to get back to a truely standard car.

I understand your point that you and everyone else knows the history of the car, and even though its been a colourfull one it may be better than not knowing any of its past.

If you end up buying the car I look forward to see what you plan to do with it.

Truth be told i regret selling my GTI and if i saw jeffs car in its modified state for sale before being broken down then someone would have to hold me back to stop me buying it!
I've been looking specifically for 3 door winter packed models in black, which believe it or not, is quite difficult unless you fancy 80k miles or 5 doors. Will's is very high spec, and I can understand why returning it to stock would not only expand the buyers market but also for profit selling off the performance parts.

Good point on its history, a car with two owners may be just as bad as 3 owners who have looked after the car and had history to prove so - sometimes it's better the devil you know. I understand Jeff spent a lot of money in his ownership of the car - if I can get a solid cared for car with decent spec for my budget i'll be a happy man :D